Increase font size
Topic Title: Lightning protection of offshore steel structure
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 September 2012 04:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 September 2012 04:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SteveYew

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me.

I'm looking at a steel structure to be installed in an offshore location and wondered if anyone knew what the lightning protection requirements would be for such a structure. The standards of the DNV seem to suggest if it is a continuous steel structure into the sea then it doesn't require any kind of proprietary lightning protection system.

I would think lightning arrestors would be required to prevent damage to electronic circuits in case of a strike, particularly the communications system.

Any input welcome.

Thanks
 04 October 2012 07:00 AM

Al

Whats the purpose of the structure and what kind of electrical facilities on board?
 04 October 2012 08:07 AM

SteveYew

It's a moored buoy to collect meteorological data. The electronics are to power navigational aids, comms and data logging systems, there will be batteries on board which will be charged from a mix of on board wind turbines and PV.
 05 October 2012 01:16 AM

Al

Hi Steve,

I would agree with your assessment, DNV only mentions bonding of masts if they are not metallic. The DNV references to IEC (offshore) standards which say a protective system need not be provided where there is a metal structure with bolted and welded construction. The protection of equipment is therefore down to risk assessment i.e loss of service and damage to equipment.

Regards

Al
 05 October 2012 08:15 AM

SteveYew

Thanks Al

Steve
 09 October 2012 03:15 PM

Avatar for timothyboler                                      .
timothyboler

Agree with Al here. Lightning protection comprises of protection of the structure and protection of electrical equipment which is reflected in different parts of the BS EN / IEC 62305 series (i.e. part 3 and 4 respectively). You might not need any additional strike termination points or down conductors if it's all structural steel but you may definitely need surge arrester / LPS zone strategy to deal with the comms systems based on the risk assessment (part 2).

Regards, Tim

-------------------------
Everyone loves a fireman - but hates the fire inspector.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.