IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Smart meter needed?
Topic Summary: What benefit is the smart meter to consumers?
Created On: 25 June 2012 04:14 PM
Related E&T article: Smart Special - Smart Meters
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 June 2012 04:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

misceng

The information on smart meters seem to be centred on the benefits to the suppliers. Very few consumers will be able to manage their use of electricity to make even modest reductions as they already minimise the use due to the high cost. When the cost of smart meters is added bills will rise yet again.
IET has raised the issue of security but it seems the drive to get the meters installed is paramount and I fear the security aspects will be covered with politician's waffle rather than real action.

-------------------------
misceng
 25 June 2012 05:06 PM

HKafeman

I agree with your sentiments regarding the benefits to consumers. I have had smart meters installed for a couple of years and am now actually paying a higher tariff despite the reduced costs to the utility company....!

My view is that any savings can only be realised and maintained for the consumer (and society at large) by automated controls using data from the metering.

Security is part of the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications (SMETS) and Home Area Network (HAN) documents - version 2 of SMETS and the HAN specification are due for consultation over the next few months I understand.

Are you familiar with the details of the various specifications, proposals, etc. so that your security concerns related to the details? Or are your concerns of a more general nature?

Regards
Henry

Henry Kafeman

HDK Solutions Ltd.
Investigate, Analyse, Resolve
Tel: +44 (0)1908 866921
 25 June 2012 07:43 PM

misceng

HKafeman thank you for your comments. Reading the most recent IET journal I noted that the incorporation of security into the meters was not yet finalised and the pressure was on to get them installed. I pointed out in a letter published in E&T that the staff of the utilities were not vetted but would be accessing the consumption of users and could deduce when a customer was on holiday and therefore easy to burgle. I also noted that these meters would make it easy to introduce variable charging. Higher charges at peak periods and possibly lower charges when demand was low would lead to loss of control by customers. Given the observed behaviour of the suppliers to date this could lead to much higher bills..

misceng
IET » Energy » Smart meter needed?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.