Topic Title: Unintended consequences
Topic Summary: Look out or unintended consequences
Created On: 29 March 2012 08:01 AM
Related E&T article: Solar power: the unexpected side effect
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 March 2012 08:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

zincabatementcoating

We always have to be on the lookout for unintended consequences. JUST AS IMPORTANT but... UNCOMMON.. we need to admit when our ideas or products are flawed and address them.
 29 March 2012 02:32 PM

SLABWatchdog

I would add a quick comment about the note that says in North America/U.S. we have recycle 95% of our lead acid batteries. Technically this is true, but in recent years more than 754 million pounds of these things have been shipped to developing countries, mostly Mexico, where they are recycled in substandard facilities with little or no environmental or occupational controls. That results in environmental damage and worker and community illnesses. We need to stop the problem today. Our group SLAB Watchdog has a web site where you can learn more.
 03 April 2012 10:04 PM

Ipayyoursalary

Why am I not surprised? From blighting the British countryside with thousands of giant bird-blenders, to the destruction of thousands of acres of rain forest in the mad rush for biofuels subsidies, to the lead poisoning of thousands of poor people in developing countries. The only 'green' the climate change scaremonging industry are interested in is the green of taxpayer's money. Extracted in the name of 'saving the planet' from man-made global warming, of which there has been none this century despite rising CO2. Meanwhile DECC prevents us tapping the plentiful supply of cheap, clean shale gas beneath our feet. You couldn't make it up.
 25 May 2012 12:16 PM

james0212

Ipayoursalary,
So right but there's just you, I see few in agreement.
I've worked in many of these places, tons and tons of PCB transformers rusting away, cables, motors, electrical junk of every description, overgrown with jungle. In Indonesia we dug out an old Brush motor to train the locals, rewinding and baking, like Tarzan it took days to cut everything back and get it out.
In every developing country now there are mountains of abandoned electrical & mechanical junk.
IET » Energy » Unintended consequences

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.