IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Co-Location of Pilot Cable with its HV cable
Topic Summary: The need for a standard or regulation stipulating the pilot cable must be located in same containment as the HV power ca
Created On: 05 January 2012 05:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 January 2012 05:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ACDube

I am involved in a Power Supply Upgrade project at 33kV. In one instance, there is a recommendation to keep the pilot cable in the old containment. and install the new HV cable a separate buried route. In this case the separaation distance is 6 metres across other rail infrastructure. I have tried looking for IEE regulations stipulating the need for the two to be installed in the same containment, but cannot find any. Please advise of where to search or any BS/EN standards supporting the obvious best practice
 05 January 2012 06:53 PM

alancapon

I don't think you will find any regulations - it comes down to individual company standards, as there are benefits for and against each option. Personally, I like to see the pilot adjacent to its associated HV, although it may not always be possible.

I would expect the pilot cable to be installed as per the specification. What did that say?

Regards,

Alan.
 06 January 2012 08:06 AM

ArthurHall

I agree with Alan. I have seen pilots take completely different routes from the power cables. Somtimes we had 33KV overhead lines but the pilots were underground taking a diferent route. Also in the past the GPO would supply a signaling circuit between substations, route unknown.
 09 January 2012 03:56 PM

ACDube

Guys Thanks,
I have looked and there are no BS standards so my internal discussion with with a senior colleague is that there is no standard to enforce the co-location of the pilot with the HV cable in the same route, either..
Therefore its all down to good practice, judgement and justifieable engineering practice. in this case I will weigh the risk of rigorous labelling of the outlying cable with the cost, of laying a new patch; if the latter is acceptable then relay ove the disparate length.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.