Increase font size
Topic Title: 11 kV Feeder Load Flow Analysics
Topic Summary: I am doing a project for 11kV feeder analysics
Created On: 25 February 2011 02:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 February 2011 02:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

greatpeople1

I am doing an 11kV feeder analysics for a local power distribution company. Untill now i was doing the designing of 11kV feeders with optimum cable sizing and transformer sizing. This project has come where i have to analysics the 11kV feeders of existing compnaies and tell them what should be done to cut there line losses.

I have gone through various books and there are twi things i can do,

1 is to replace the conductor with the suitable conductor
2 to make new feeders to cut overloaded feeders down.
3 the install shunt capacitors at suitable locations along the locations.

What are your observations regarding my new project. I ned help with the shunt capactior thing , what will tell me where the ideal location to instaell shuunt capatiors will be. Is there any paid or free software that will make me understand how it can be done easily and effectivly.

An books materials , guidelines , web portals . I reallly need help as i'm looking to do this project independently.

Regards,
 25 February 2011 06:53 PM

greatpeople1

urgent help required
 26 February 2011 06:17 AM

sfchew

Can you tell us your academic qualification and experience so that we can assist in a more meaningful way?

Regards
Chris Chew
 26 February 2011 07:23 AM

greatpeople1

Originally posted by: sfchew

Can you tell us your academic qualification and experience so that we can assist in a more meaningful way?

Regards

Chris Chew

thank you for taking time out and replying

I am B.Sc Electrical , and i have experience of designing 11kV feeders for various HT/LT networks around 50 feeders in total both under ground and overhead. I have knowsldge of maximum current a feeder should have, maximum allowable volatge losses at any time. economic conductir sizing.
What i am having problem is the capactior sizing, capactoir placement. as in this new project we have to study the data and comment on how the overloading, line losses can be made less accordingly.

I work with a consulatnt company and i want to have advance info about how it can be done.
 26 February 2011 07:31 AM

sfchew

Do you have data on all the feeders that you are working on? Power Factor will be the key consideration and capacitor banks are the solutions to areas where PF is low. Line currents will be reduced if load centres have high PF.

Regards
Chris Chew
 26 February 2011 07:35 AM

greatpeople1

yes i will be provided with the subject data. i know we should take average pf when desiging the system , as leading power factor will take out the electrical appliances. I have problem on processing the subject data vis capacitor sizing and there placement on the network at ideal locations. plus single line diagrams.
 27 February 2011 04:28 AM

sfchew

Your consultant will be able to assist you on the subject matter. Why do you anticipate leading power factor in the system?

You mentioned overloading, it will usually be caused by low PF. Improving PF will solve the case if it is due to low PF.

Regards
Chris Chew
 27 February 2011 07:52 AM

greatpeople1

Your consultant will be able to assist you on the subject matter. Why do you anticipate leading power factor in the system?

You mentioned overloading, it will usually be caused by low PF. Improving PF will solve the case if it is due to low PF.

Regards

Chris Chew

I am the consultant here , I am anticipating the leading power factor because if i place the capapctiors on full load and when the system be less than full load, there will be a leading power factor, that is why it is really important that we do the calculations right and place the capaciotrs accordigly.
 27 February 2011 08:32 AM

sfchew

Since the loads are not fixed you may want to consider automatic PF correction scheme.

There are many vendors of such equipment. You can easily get them on the internet.

Regards
Chris Chew
 27 February 2011 08:44 AM

greatpeople1

true sir but can you expalin to me the studies any reference ones that have been done here before or can u link me to some vendors as this will only be a study and only after that we can move to vendors for there suggestions.

Regards,

A case study already done somewhere will be really really helpfull here.
 01 March 2011 02:31 AM

sfchew

Identify distribution networks with PF<0.95 at the source intakes.
Locate and size capacitors in the distribution network up to PF=1.0.
Identify the most economical PF level.
Calculate the benefit to cost ratio taking into consideration of load growth and life span of shunt capacitors.
You need to have a power flow program to run your system.

Regards
Chris Chew
 01 March 2011 08:45 AM

Al

I thinks Chris has been very helpful but you must see yourself that you have reached the limit of your experience and you need professional help. Get someone in!

Al

Edited: 01 March 2011 at 09:13 AM by Al
 01 March 2011 03:05 PM

greatpeople1

Identify distribution networks with PF<0.95 at the source intakes.

Locate and size capacitors in the distribution network up to PF=1.0.

Identify the most economical PF level.

Calculate the benefit to cost ratio taking into consideration of load growth and life span of shunt capacitors.

You need to have a power flow program to run your system.

Regards

Chris Chew

sir thats where the problem is , i need a power flow software, i dont have it the one we use is dos base. it doesnt include shunt capacitors
 01 March 2011 03:06 PM

greatpeople1

Originally posted by: Al

I thinks Chris has been very helpful but you must see yourself that you have reached the limit of your experience and you need professional help. Get someone in!

Al

yes he has been, any one who know what kind of load flow softwares there are in market and where can we get them will be a great help.
 01 March 2011 03:15 PM

chrisjtaylor

I use ERACS and its quite useful.

http://www.era.co.uk/services/eracs.asp

-------------------------
Is the search for the Higgs Boson mass hysteria?
 01 March 2011 11:45 PM

MickeyB

Contact Rob Dickson @ CEE Relays in the UK and request a demo disk of SKM Power Tools for Windows... 30 day limited trial for free. If you like it you can buy it..... takes some getting use to but when you have mastered the software you won't look back. ETAP is the same....
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.