IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Transformer Oil
Topic Summary: any experience with vegetable oil?
Created On: 11 June 2010 01:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 June 2010 01:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamierobert

Hi,

I am looking at a project problem where I have been asked to propose risk reduction ideas for consideration. I am currently looking at Coppers Envirotemp FR3 Fluid oil that is vegetable based.

Has anyone had experience with using this type of oil and have you had any issues?

Thanks
 11 June 2010 11:41 AM

OMS

I used it in the UK on a project for an american client - it was a standard requirement of thiers for both thier insurance and corporate social responsibility. The TX's ( 4 x 2MVA) have been in close to 3 years and do tend to get a fair bit of abuse due to changing process loads etc - no negative aspects to report at this stage.

Our design initially proposed "MIDEL" as a tranformer fluid, I recall the characteristics of FR3 were slightly better on most counts

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 14 June 2010 01:16 PM

Euclid

I work for a transformer manufacturer in the UK and have used FR3 a number of times over the last few years. Cooper recommend that the transformer must be in a sealed tank. We are also manufacturing a FR3 cooled transformer at the moment.

EDF have some large units in service currently undergoing some in service monitoring produced by two of the largest uk manufacturers. I don't work for them, but have experience with my own company.

To date we have a few FR3 transformers in service - my company have had no issues reported to us. In the UK traditionally Midel fluid is preferred, but we have seen FR3 specified more regularly recently.

Cheers
Euclid
IET » Energy » Transformer Oil

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.