Topic Title: 3D Electricity
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 March 2010 08:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 June 2010 10:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

gkenyon

Originally posted by: Backintime

Originally posted by: acsinuk

... I do not agree that current can be defined as charges moved in unit time. ...

I thought charges are equivalent to electrons which are energy carrying particles. I have a few question here:

a. What am I measuring when I put a clampmeter around a single 1.5mm2 conductor which has a volt-drop of 4.15V (the clampmeter says 13A and the length of the conductor is 22m long) ?
The clamp meter is actually measuring the magnetic field corresponding to the current flowing in the wire.

b. Why am I getting almost zero current reading when I put a clampmeter on a single phase circuit conductors (phase and neutral)?
The phase conductor generates a magnetic field corresponding to the current in the phase conductor.

Similarly, the Neutral does the same.

Since the Phase and Neutral currents are (should be) as near as dammit the same, the magnetic fields are the same size, BUT the current in the Neutral is going "back" to the supply down the cable, whereas the phase current is coming "from" the supply up the cable, so the magnetic fields are also in opposite directions.

In theory, therefore, they cancel each other out.

c. How do I explain to my apprentice electricians what is 'current'?
Simplest is the amount of electrons moving past a point in the circuit. Use the analagy of water flow in a pipe - great for d.c.

But how can we use water analagy to see what's going on with a.c.?

Think about water flowing past a water wheel. Send water top left to bottom right of the wheel, so wheel goes clockwise, and drives machinery to do work.

After a short time, change direction so water flows top right to bottom left, wheel going anti-clockwise.

It can still drive machinery and do work.

After same time, reverse it again.

And you've got "a.c. water".

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
 14 June 2010 10:56 PM

tonysung

Originally posted by: Backintime
I thought charges are equivalent to electrons which are energy carrying particles. I have a few question here:
c. How do I explain to my apprentice electricians what is 'current'?

Try these educational Cathode Ray tube links:

This one shows how a stream of electron beam (current) is deflected by a magnetic field.

This link explains how the Cathode Ray tube works in an oscilloscope and your TV set.

-------------------------
Tony Sung
 16 June 2010 10:18 AM

acsinuk

Hi backintime
To explain to your trainees what current is; will take a bit of doing as it is a two dimensional loop of flux. For DC it is straight forward as the Iy current mutually induces an Ix current of the same magnitude and the square root of the product is the current we measure.

With AC current the square root of Ix*Iy is more difficult to hypothesise on; as Ix is inductive current and Iy is determined by the charge current of the conductor.
If Ix > Iy them the circuit will be inductive and if Iy > Ix then capacitive. In this case only the minimum current can be used to produce real energy kW the remainder loop area is imaginary or virtual power measured in kVARs.
Further resistance in Ohms will limit the size of the power current loop, whereas inductive and capacitive reactance will limit the size of virtual power.
CliveS
 30 June 2010 10:24 AM

acsinuk

Additional information which might help regarding my new concept of electromagnetic energy and light.
Researchers who are looking into squeezing more digital information into a fibre optic cable now know that lazer light can be quadrature amplitude modulated. This to me proves that light is a volume helix beam of magnoflux energy and has nothing to do with classical matter at all. There is an article in theiet.org 20 February 2010 magazine which will enlighten you on this subject.

CliveS
 07 July 2010 08:59 PM

acsinuk

Additional added info from thenakedscientists; physics forum and space.com boards
"A photon has no mass; it is made from magnetic energy only. If you look up wikipedia "Eulers formlua" you will see a diagram that shows the inphase and quadrature modulation of magnoflux energy. Laser light is 3D magnetic energy and forms a helix [ magnoflux tunnel] as the photons move through a magnetized volume of space." Please note that any physics model of a photon or light or electricity that is not 3D is therefore highly suspect in my view
CliveS
IET » Energy » 3D Electricity

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.