Increase font size
Topic Title: Synchronous Condenser
Topic Summary: Tapchanger for transformer
Created On: 21 September 2013 10:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 September 2013 10:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

iochoa

I have recently seen a design of tap-changer for a transformer which will link a synchronous condenser with the network system. In my opinion this is not correct since the purpose of a tap-changer is to regulate the ratio of the transformer in order to control the voltage at the secondary side, so if the transformer is connected to a VAR regulator, this regulator will play the role as voltage regulator, thus the tap-changer is useless. I have seen SVC system and none of them use a tap-changer at the transformer. Have anybody seen this type of configuration tap-changer+SC?

Edited: 21 September 2013 at 10:53 PM by iochoa
 22 September 2013 07:11 PM

kengreen

please it explain the term "" synchronous condenser"?

I accept that this is probably a working jargon but, in my world, a condenser is a device which can reduce steam to water? If indeed it refers to a "capacitor" then to what exactly is it synchronised and for what purpose and curiously how is this achieved?
Ken Green
 24 September 2013 12:38 PM

iochoa

Hi Ken,
A synchronous Condenser is a Synchronous machine working as variable capacitor. Synchronous machine is a rotating machine which produces electricity having mechanical energy as input.
Synchronous condenser works like a set of capacitor connected to the netwrok, but instead a capacitor is swithched, the synchroinous condenser changes the capacitance value accordingly, thus avoiding switching (which impacts the network), it is like a potentiometer
 25 September 2013 01:09 PM

kengreen

many thanks iochoa,

It would seem that I have become so old that I have forgotten the old Admiralty Handbook :-)

Nevertheless I would still contain that you cannot "condense" any form of electricity :-)

Ken Green
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.