IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Modeling part state during manufacture
Topic Summary: Is there a model where parts with state flow through processes with state?
Created On: 09 April 2013 12:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 April 2013 12:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jgdavies

Hi,
Modeling manufacture of complex parts that have many states throughout the production process, I'd like to use those states in a model.

Its common to model processes, especially software processes, that have state, but in a factory its common to pick up a processed part look at it and make some decision i.e. assign a state 'good' or 'scrapped' etc. to that part.
Parts also have an observed state as, say, process X can be observed to have been carried out, but not process Y again adding an implicit state to the part.

I'd like to be able to switch from a viewpoint of at least process, to a viewpoint of state.

SysML allows Item-flow between processes but only allows (as far as I can tell) objects i.e. 'parts' to flow, not parts in a specific state which is what happens in reality.

IDEF3 allows a process view and a state transition diagram which comes close, but every example I've seen is for state of, say, an order, and I'm not sure I can show part state in the process diagram.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this appreciated, the aim is to have an understandable-by-all viewpoint from the parts perspective and drive design of, well everything in a manufacturing system, from that when discussion between, say, IT, Operations, Automation, Processes, suppliers become lets, say 'fraught'. At such a point I'd like to be able to find the parts state, look at the next state - or transition necessary to get there, and refocus the discussion.

-------------------------
jgdavies
 29 May 2013 02:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Rubaiswd

Hi,
I think a software called witness can be used for a lot of modelling options. You can see a video of how to use witness on youtube. i have used it during my course at university. i think it is quite detailed. It might answer your questions.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.