IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How do I become a Senior Electrical Designer?
Topic Summary: Help appreciated
Created On: 02 April 2013 05:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 April 2013 05:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

harper1993

hey people, just coming here for some knowledge and help from you guys. Im 20 years old and currently studying 2330 level 3.

I want to become an electrical designer, next year I will be doing HNC which I have had people tell me it is a designing qualification?
Anyway, after next year once I pass HNC I would like to increase my prospects and go on and do an honours degree, although I am not sure that designing will be included in this, I have done some research and it seems mainly electronics.. Would it be worth me taking on an honours? Would it increase my chances of getting the higher paid jobs?

Eventually I would like to be an electrical designer off shore in the oil and gas industry.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
 05 April 2013 08:39 AM

ectophile

These days, so many people have degrees that it's almost a prerequisite for most professional roles. It provides a recruitment officer with a quick way of weeding out large numbers of potential candidates.

Don't worry too much about whether or not the degree exactly matches what you want to do. More often that not, the job you end up doing is only vaguely related to the degree you have anyway.

The short answer to the original question "How do I become a Senior Electrical Designer?" would be to start by becoming a junior Electrical Designer. The degree gets you into a job, and after that, it's experience that counts.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 05 April 2013 09:48 AM

harper1993

thanks for the advice.. Will I need a HNC to be a junior electrical designer? and I just wanted to do the honours degree to try and get a bit more experience of all round electrics and try to study a few modules that include design to give me a better understanding
 05 April 2013 11:39 PM

ectophile

There's no simple "if I have qualification X then I will get a job doing Y". It's all down to a mixture of experience, qualifications, how well you interview and even whether you know the right people. And a fair bit of luck as well.

I would always recommend a degree for anybody hoping to achieve a more senior role. However it's going to be three or four years out of your life to "get a bit more experience". During that time you're not earning (much) money, and quite probably running up student debts. So think about it carefully.

Even as a graduate, you are likely to be employed in a more junior role to start with, unless you've already been working in industry for some time. A more cynical view is that a new graduate is pretty much useless for a year or so, until they learn how things are really done in industry.

If you have a particular job in mind, then do a bit of research. Find out who's employing, what jobs are on offer, and what levels of experience they want.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 26 June 2013 08:17 AM

Oluwamuyiwa

I am an Electrical Engineer working in Tendering and Estimation Department. We do a lot of Electrical Designs. Can anyone mentor / be of help in getting materials to equip me?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.