Increase font size
Topic Title: Design Drawings to Manufacture
Topic Summary: How to standardise the process of building from design drawings
Created On: 24 September 2009 12:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 September 2009 12:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AlanSellers

Hi

I would like to know your thoughts on how to standardise the process of building a product from a set of design drawings.

Ultimately I would like to design a Microsoft Word Template that would produce a standard Word Document detailing this process for each product. It would allow someone to build the product in the same way as it had been built before by another person for example with the same routing of wiring.

Warm Regards,

Alan Sellers
 24 September 2009 04:02 PM

AlanSellers

Thanks Alan. I was keen to avoid "reinventing the wheel" and you have helped me avoid doing just that!
 26 October 2009 06:07 AM

chrstnsln22

A really nice idea allan. I will do this if ever there's a need to do so in with my current project.

Christine
hemorrhoids home treatment
 15 November 2009 05:15 PM

sporskok

Manufacturing is highly dependent of designing the process. Manufacturing workers are waiting for u Link removed you can use this code:BUILDIT4ME for more benefits.

Edited: 15 November 2009 at 05:27 PM by sporskok
 12 May 2010 10:30 AM

virnik

I would start with your quality process. If you have good quality procedures in place the document you produce will improve over time.
Also don't limit your self to drawings. Documentation for manufacture can be by photographs and even videos, as long as the quality control processes are in place to enable traceability and improvement.

Nick
 25 September 2010 02:44 PM

markjrounding

This process is set out by the designer, using the Design For Manufacture (DFM) & Design For Assembly (DFA) methods. An example of this is when designing machine tooling, I always imagine I am stood in front of either a lathe/grinder/milling machine, and the question I ask is how many cuts can I make in single set up from the datum face. This is translated onto the drawing i.e. all dimensions relevent for that set up are taken from the datum face. Similarly with DFA, you need to ask yourself what is the starting point, and how do I build this? Other questions are: can we manufacture this? can we manufacture at cost? If not who can?. I have, so often seen designs from younger engineers, who have not 'walked the line', produce designs on a screen, that can not be manufactured, an example of this is recently, whilst on a shipyard abroad, I was perusing through a drawing, which showed two plate 50mm THK, 60mm apart with a depth of 500mm showing a double penetration weld (each plate would require a single butt weld prep from the outside), as there is not a coded welder on this planet who get his/her hand down the 500mm to weld the inside of the plates, and that is what DFM/DFA is all about! How will we make this.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.