IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Qualifications?
Topic Summary: What will I need to become a manager?
Created On: 14 March 2014 03:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 March 2014 03:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TRobins

I want to start my own engineering company and I have a few friends (engineers) who will join me. What qualification will I need to make this come true?
 14 March 2014 03:41 PM

Zuiko

none

although if this question is serious (how can it be?) if you are starting an engineering company and wondering about qualifications, maybe you are not suited to starting a company?
 24 March 2014 10:44 AM

TRobins

Well, my business partner has been rejected contracts before because he wasn't ISO certified and I was wondering if that would come up or not seen as essential by other professionals already in the industry.
I'm an admin head and only want to get into Engineering because I have several friends who will go into it with me. But I want to get it right first time and want to be prepared. So I thought I would get some help.
 24 March 2014 01:24 PM

ectophile

There are various ISO certifications, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. These are normally on the organization, rather than any individual. This can present a problem to sole traders who haven't got the time or money to go through the whole certification process.

There is no single answer for what you are asking. There's no magic "management" qualification that will be accepted by everybody to cover everything, and many managers will have no formal qualifications at all.

It's worth looking into what your industry expects in the way of qualifications and certifications if you are thinking of picking up subcontracts from larger organizations.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 25 March 2014 11:42 AM

TRobins

Originally posted by: ectophile

There are various ISO certifications, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. These are normally on the organization, rather than any individual. This can present a problem to sole traders who haven't got the time or money to go through the whole certification process.

There is no single answer for what you are asking. There's no magic "management" qualification that will be accepted by everybody to cover everything, and many managers will have no formal qualifications at all.

It's worth looking into what your industry expects in the way of qualifications and certifications if you are thinking of picking up subcontracts from larger organizations.

Thank you Ectophile,

I guess I need to investigate the industry a little bit more.

Seeing as there will be 5 of us, do you think ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 would be worth us getting?

Which qualifications would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
 25 March 2014 01:11 PM

ectophile

ISO9001 is a quality standard. Or, for the more cynical, it's a paperwork standard (in the sense that you can continue to sell faulty products, so long as you have the correct processes in place to handle customer returns). A lot of larger purchasers will expect to see it.

ISO14001 is an environmental standard. It can give you a warm and fuzzy feeling having it, and it looks good on your advertising brochures. But it says nothing about your products.

ISO is a standards organisation. They have produced many different standards covering all sorts of things. I just picked those two as examples because I have encountered them.

I wouldn't recommend any particular management qualifications. A popular one is an MBA, but expect other engineers to think less of you if you have it - there is a strong stereotype of MBAs as people who think that they know how to run a business, but who actually know nothing about the products that the business produces or the processes that are used to make them.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 26 March 2014 07:06 AM

g3xoi

T Robins,

As Professor CEM Joad used to say "It all depends on what you mean by Qualifications"

To be a manager you do not NEED a piece of paper but you do usually need the knowledge you would get on a Management Diploma.

It used to be 17 subect-years over 5 years of evening classes when I did it but later it because a full-time course.

I suggest you look up the syllabus of that qualification and see what knowledge you have, and where you are lacking. Then you can fill in the gaps by self-study or finding courses at your local college. There is, of course, the Open University.

Some things, like employment law, can be left for later if you are a one or two man band but finance and commercial law are more urgent.

Being a manager is a bit like a non-swimmer jumping in at the deep end - some will swim, some will doggie-paddle and some will drown!

Alan

n.b. This message has a limited shelf life.
 28 March 2014 09:54 AM

TRobins

Thanks guys, This is very helpful.

Well, I've done management in retail before, but as my friends are qualified engineers and they said they would like to start a company, we are entertaining the idea of me handling all of the admin and sales side of it, and they complete the work.

Thanks for your advice Ectophile. So your recommendation would be to learn about the products and the services instead of or as well as getting a MBA?

g3xoi, thanks for your advice, I think I may do an evening course to help me come to grips with the industry terms and such more, I just assumed I would learn that all on the job.

So Ectophile, Have you any experience with either of those certifications?
 30 March 2014 12:30 AM

ectophile

So Ectophile, Have you any experience with either of those certifications?

Only from the point-of-view of being an employee of a company that has been assessed against those standards.

Actually, I'm looking at the whole question you originally asked as a long-term employee who actively avoids any role that looks like management.

From my experience, being a good manager has nothing to do with earning any particular qualification. It's all about understanding both the business and the people.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.