Increase font size
Topic Title: Embedded C and assembly Consultant
Topic Summary: Career Advice needed
Created On: 23 January 2014 07:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 January 2014 07:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

opmelectronics

Hi

I want some information and experiences of people who do short term contract work ...or even work for themselves...

I was looking to go down the route of doing a Phd and also build up my knowledge of Embedded C and assembly.....

Any experince or knowledge about this would be useful

I also want to mainly know how do you become an independent consultant in them areas ?????

Thank you
 24 January 2014 08:35 AM

ectophile

I'm not a consultant myself, but I've known a lot of people in this industry who have gone into consultancy.

The most important thing is that you know more about the subject than the people you are hoping to work for. That means years of experience and relevant training courses.

I'm not sure that a PhD will do you any good unless you can find one that is extremely relevant. It's 3 or 4 years out of your life in which you could have been gaining practical experience in industry.

The usual route I have seen is to work in the industry as a normal employee until you have gained enough experience, then leave and set yourself up as a consultant.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 24 January 2014 07:25 PM

opmelectronics

Thank you for your reply.......I appreciate your opinions

I have seen two EPSCR PhD courses ..one in robotics and automation...and the other in communication electronics .......

these are two areas that interest me .........

I was thinking that while doing the Phd for round 4 years I can build up my programming skills and design skills by doing a number of projects in my own time...I cant do that at moment as i work 9-5 .......I tink i can learn things better at home by trial and error...

My end goal would be working part time as a teacher of electronics(no more than 15 hours a week) and at other times contributing to projects ....

I am not looking to make millions or build a big business ...I am just looking to live a standard life while doing something i like.....
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.