Increase font size
Topic Title: mentoring?
Topic Summary: to help or not?
Created On: 18 August 2011 08:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 August 2011 08:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ads114

hi , i have started a new post in a very busy dept of a major player in the industry. i was taken on because i have knowledge and experience the dept recognise will be useful. there is no dedicated training programme for me, i don't know what i am doing from one day to the next i am having to occupy my time by trying to find things to do and read etc. i have been given a mentor who is so busy with his own work and completely stressed out he cannot spend any time with me. i ask for help, he cannot give it and brushes me off, despite having a long chat with him to try and fix things and come to some conclusion as to the way forward. how is this best resolved without causing any trouble, its a thought to go in when you are the only person not doing much it seems.the boss is very good and says to chill out and dont look to do too much to soon but i'm not happy, any thoughts please
 18 August 2011 09:17 PM

DavidParr

Hi ads,

I think you would be better off with an external mentor, particularly given the circumstances you have described. Having someone to talk to who carries no "baggage" can be really useful, as the advice you get is much more likely to be balanced and honest.

It sounds as though your mentor could do with a mentor too!

I recommend you approach the institution and ask them for the services of a mentor. If it does work for you, maybe you can then help your busy company mentor as well?

Regards,

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 20 August 2011 04:27 PM

saridgway

From my own experience, I would say that the situation you describe is fairly common for new employees. Of course it depends on many factors (type of work, current project phases, personalities etc.), but in businesses where I worked it could easily take several months for new recruits to settle in and be found semi-meaningful things to do. I've even heard very experienced engineers say they'd been in a new role for 12 months before they felt they were able to contribute anything of value. From what your boss says, it seems like they are employing you with a view to the longer term, which in the present economic circumstances must be good news. I think I know how you feel (been there etc.), but my advice would be stick with it and be patient. Don't let your mentor and bosses forget you exist (it can happen) - stay visible, but don't pester them to death either! Best of luck.

-------------------------
Steve Ridgway MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.