IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help required for dissertation: Permits on Low & High Voltage systems
Topic Summary: Permits used on Low & High Voltage systems
Created On: 11 August 2011 01:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 August 2011 01:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ChristopherKelly

I am currently writing my degree dissertation on electrical infrastructures and need some help with permits.

I work as an operations engineer within the NHS and undertake Low & High voltage AP duties, and I need to compare the NHS permit system with permit/permission to work systems in other organisations or industries.

Could anyone help?
What I need is information regarding what permits are used and under what conditions they are issued.

Example of NHS (HTM) permits:
Low Voltage permits and forms:
Certificate of authorisation for live working,
Isolation and earthing diagram,
Limitation of access,
Permission for disconnection of electrical services,
Permit to work,
Safety program

High Voltage permits and forms:
Isolation and earthing diagram,
Limitation of access,
Permission for disconnection of electrical services,
Permit to work,
Safety program,
Sanction for test

Before any work which will interrupt a department or ward has started, a Permission for disconnection of electrical services permit is signed by the person with responsibility for the area involved in the work. This confirms that the electrical supply will be interrupted and nothing critical will be left without power unexpectedly during the work.

A Safety programme is produced to give each step of the process to make the item to be worked on safe and unenergised.

A Isolation and earthing diagram is then produced to visually indicate the isolations which will be made by the end of the Safety programme.

Once the Safety programme has been followed and the isolation made, a Permit to work is issued to the Competent Person (CP) who will be undertaking the work. Once the work has been undertaken and either completed or suspended, the Permit to work must be returned to the Approved Person (AP)

A Certificate of live working is only issued if it is impossible to make the point of work dead; it is usually issued only for the changing of batteries in UPS units. These are never issed for work on High Voltage systems.

Limitation of access permits are issued to persons who may need access to controlled areas but are not undertaking any work, this may include joiners undertaking fire door checks.

Sanction for test permits are issued to allow tests on HV cables, this includes pressure tests.

If anyone can help, please email me at c.kelly4343@student.leedsmet.ac.uk

Many thanks for taking the time to read this,

Christopher M Kelly

Edited: 11 August 2011 at 02:06 PM by ChristopherKelly
 11 August 2011 01:28 PM

OMS

A minor point - if you totally disallow live HV working why do you have a Certificate of authorisation for live working on HV systems.

There are many systems used in a variety of sectors that broadly follow the HTM management systems and in other sectors there is virtually no control of any kind.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 11 August 2011 02:11 PM

ChristopherKelly

Thanks OMS regarding the HV certificate, that was a "cut & copy" error.

I have had Bradford City Met Council help me, and Metro Centre (Newcastle) help me.

I know a little of the MOD permit as it is very similar to the HTM 06 series.

Edited: 11 August 2011 at 03:34 PM by ChristopherKelly
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.