Increase font size
Topic Title: Getting into management
Topic Summary: What courses to do
Created On: 04 September 2010 10:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 September 2010 10:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sdc8843

Hi to all, i am new to this forum but would like to get some fedback on moving into management. I do not have any formal qualifications in management but have held management positions within other fields. I am currently working as an electrician in the domestic/commercial sector for an established company that has started up in a new area. So as they build hopefully opprtunities will arise.
I am unsure as to whether i should study a general management course, management in the construction industry or project management. Or should i start with smaller courses such as health and safety, risk assessment etc.

Your thoughts would be appreciated
 07 September 2010 05:32 PM

benacheson

It depends what field you hope to be in eventually. If you know, and you're sure, then focus on management in that industry. Otherwise, start with broader business and management courses. The OU is good for general management theory, but a bit thin on practical applications.

You should also get to know the people on the forums at managers.org.uk - introduce yourself and ask them what they think. It's the best place I know for aspiring managers to network and learn.

I'd be delighted to advise - feel free to contact me: use the info in my profile and from there my website (click on my name, or search for me on a search engine or Linkedin or Twitter).

-------------------------
Ben Acheson
 21 November 2010 07:21 PM

Topper

It's great to hear that you are trying to better yourself and I can only encourage you to try anything, I moved jobs after 28 years on the tools. It is quite difficult on the other side of the fence, I graduated and took up a Clerk of Works role for the biggest ALMO in the country. Take a good look at what you would like to do and also what you would feel happy in overseeing, if you put your mind to it you can do anything, spread your wings and make as many friends as possible and good look which ever direction you take.

Topper
 16 August 2011 12:20 PM

GarethKane

Slightly off topic, but related, I enjoyed this article in Forbes about the 10 lies of business schools re MBAs.

My advice would be to go on a short project management course - I did a two day one by FranklinCovey a decade ago which stripped away most of the fluff and focussed on the essentials. The other big issue is managing people, which is a dark art. I like the book The Truth About Managing People by Stephen Robbins.

Hope this helps,

Gareth

Gareth Kane
Terra Infirma Ltd
Read my new book The Green Executive
Check out my Green Business Blog
 22 September 2011 04:58 PM

geomcamck

Have you considered a work based management qualification such as the NVQ or SVQ routes? SVQs in Scotland and NVQ or the new equivalent diplomas etc. in the rest of the UK
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.