Increase font size
Topic Title: IT Out of Hours Rota
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 August 2010 06:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 August 2010 06:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

enbw

Good afternoon,

I have been asked to implement and IT out of hours rota for an existing team of two for internal company services.

Previously, it has been covered by personal commitments. However, the company wants now to make this more formal.

The biggest issue will be the buy in from the team members and the possible disruption to their personal lives as well as all the formal issues such as contract change, agreed working patterns, escalation procedures etc.

I was wondering if anybody could share their experiences on this. Also, would be looking at some guidelines/industry standards in terms of additional payments.

Regards
 30 August 2010 09:26 PM

virnik

I don't know about the legal side, of changing the contracts, if you have an HR department they should have that knowledge and be able to give some guidance.

I would have an informal chat with the two team members and ask them their opinion on providing out of hours work on a formal basis. If your lucky, they'll both say great and give you a complete solution.

The payment would depend on the cover you are expecting, arranging to shift hours by a couple of hours during the week will be less expensive than complete 24hr call out cover.

Best Regards
Nick
 08 March 2011 01:14 AM

Wyvern

This is the arrangement that I have experience of:

Call-In Cover:

Person on Call carries "Call-In Mobile Phone.
    Has remote access to IT Systems on "Company Laptop"
    If issue cannot be resolved remotely, comes in-house within 30 Min.

Payment:

Small Flat Fee for bing "On-Call"
    Flat Fee for Support Call(s)
    Larger Flat Fee for Being Called In to the plant
 19 July 2011 01:07 PM

rodeckneil

I have also experienced this problem sleeping ear plugs
 08 January 2012 12:09 AM

danielrainbow

The legal side (for the UK/europe at least) is, I believe fairly complex what with the working time directive and all.

for myself I work on call and it easy. (It support so can be done remotely)

All on call engineers have opted out of the working time directive.
all on call engineers are paid an additional £300 per standard week on call (for hours 18:00 - 8:00 and all day weekends) -extra pro-rata for bank holidays. that amount is paid regardless of whether you are called and how much you are called.

rules are:
>have to be within 30 minutes of being on-line to respond to calls (this is broadly due to SLAs with customers)
>stay sober in case you need to go to client site/data centre)
>if you worked all night, feel free to drop line manager an email saying so and stay in bed for a bit the next day instead of arriving for work on time.

of course that description somehow stretches over many pages when it's written by management, but in it's most basic form there it is.

I've spoke to others working on call before (for different companies) some get less as a retainer, but then paid per hour worked. some only per hour worked...

really the best thing to do would be to talk to staff, find out what you can agree to be happy with, trial it for a month and make any adjustments necessary
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.