IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Reliability Engineering
Topic Summary: Any Reliability Engineers in the IET?
Created On: 30 April 2009 06:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 April 2009 06:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dvaidr

Are there any Reliability Engineers members out there?

If so, how could us little understood people make our voices heard?
 30 April 2009 06:42 PM

dvaidr

It's a bit worrying really. I haven't come across anyone who seems to be remotely interested in Reliability Engineering.

Taking into account that the IET claims to be a multi-faceted, multi-disciplined body, it seems a bit short on the Rel Eng aspect of engineering.

Edited: 30 April 2009 at 06:45 PM by dvaidr
 30 April 2009 07:54 PM

mbirdi

Check out this member's CV and website. He's got a PhD in Quality Control and Reliability. He's done more things in his career than I've had hot dinners (breakfast, dinner and supper). You might want to email him to see if can he lend his support to increase awareness of Reliability engineering in the IET.

http://www.davidjbennett.org/
http://www.davidjbennett.org/s...ilderfiles/davecv.pdf

Good luck!

Edited: 30 April 2009 at 08:00 PM by mbirdi
 01 May 2009 01:53 PM

saridgway

Originally posted by: dvaidr

I haven't come across anyone who seems to be remotely interested in Reliability Engineering.

There is a related topic "Supportability Engineering" already in this forum below.

-------------------------
Steve Ridgway MIET
 08 May 2009 05:53 AM

dvaidr

Thanks Mehmood. I might just do that. I do find it worrying though that an institution which considers itself as one of the premier out of the bunch has failed to woo any Rel Engs! Staggered and astounded!
 08 May 2009 09:50 AM

amillar

Thanks Mehmood. I might just do that. I do find it worrying though that an institution which considers itself as one of the premier out of the bunch has failed to woo any Rel Engs! Staggered and astounded!

Just because no reliability engineers have posted here certainly doesn't mean that there aren't any. Very, very few members use these forums.

Have you tried getting a letter published in E&T? That would reach rather more.

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 08 May 2009 12:35 PM

dvaidr

Andy,

Point taken, although in general I don't seem to see any evidence of any relaibility-related engineering/six sigma/DMAIC on the IET site either.

It's not a problem though. Not for me anyway.
 20 May 2009 03:33 PM

robriv

Hi small team of reliability engineers at the IET. I'm a reliability engineer who has just used this forum for the first time
greetings
Roberto Riva CEng MIET
 22 August 2009 07:45 AM

shweta02sharma

Thanks for your comments concerning Reliability Engineering.
I'd like to add to your comments.

Reliability Engineering
- Apply their knowledge in methods and processes to prevent, or reduce, the likelihood or frequency of failures in a system.
- Use their knowledge gained from Failure Analysis to determine core failure mechanisms and their intrinsic activation energy, useful for predictive modeling.

"Link removed/teeth-whitening/"
 10 September 2009 12:36 PM

Wheelermch

Reliability Engineering is becoming a big topic for many Control Engineers following the big increase in the interest in functional safety. The concepts need to be understood to correctly analyse systems in terms of EN 61508 or EN 62061

I agree that it is an area not familiar to enough of us (myself included) and control engineers need to get upto speed rapidly especially in the bespoke machinary market

Howard Wheeler
 22 September 2009 05:49 PM

dvaidr

Fellow Rel Engs! Aha, some exist in the IET. Good news.

The IMechE has a very good rel eng committee and have the Journal of Relaibility Engineering. Very good publication.

What say we join forces and try to create a reliability section within the IET. Not sure how one would go about it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. I just worry that it's 'too new' for the IET to handle - not the members, the organisation.

It would be good if we could set up collaboration with IMechE.........

Edited: 23 September 2009 at 11:48 AM by dvaidr
 23 September 2009 09:55 AM

mayo-braiden

I work in maintenance/technical support and would be interested in furthering my understanding of how reliability engineering tools could be applied to improve plant performance.
 27 September 2009 05:44 PM

dvaidr

Originally posted by: mayo-braiden

I work in maintenance/technical support and would be interested in furthering my understanding of how reliability engineering tools could be applied to improve plant performance.

Mayo-braiden.

If this reliability thing ever gets fashionable enough for the IET, it will take some time for any reliability network to get off the ground.

Have a look at: http://www.weibull.com

Also the IMechE seems to have a good working group and they publish the Journal Of Reliability.
 27 January 2010 04:44 PM

padennis

dvaidr,

Did you ever look into the possability of starting a reliability section?

It would certainly be an excellent idea to have a focal point for reliability issues & discussion.

Paul Dennis
 27 January 2010 08:57 PM

dvaidr

Originally posted by: padennis

dvaidr,

Did you ever look into the possability of starting a reliability section?

It would certainly be an excellent idea to have a focal point for reliability issues & discussion.

Paul Dennis

I did indeed. I contacted the IET and the response wasn't particularly inspiring. It's a great shame I feel, because it's something that's really coming to the fore. IMechE has a working group of which I'm a member and they have a reliability section and quite productive it is too.

I sometimes feel that the IET are lagging behind other institutes and that the approach at times is dubious.
 28 January 2010 10:10 AM

padennis

Thats rather disapointing to say the least. I was under the impression that this was a forward looking institute, that would be happy to embrace new areas of speciality.

I can feel a membership application to IMechE coming on !!!!
 28 January 2010 11:22 AM

dvaidr

Alas, it's not the body it purports to be. It's a bit of an old has-been, I'm afraid.

From my experiences thus far (and it's been a good number of year since I joined when it was IEE, I diagnosed academic snobbery and the old guard syndrome some time ago.)
 28 January 2010 11:26 AM

padennis

All,

I have created a group on IET Discovery, to act as a home for those of us engaged or with an interest in reliability subjects.

Please make use of it, its there for everyones benefit.
 28 January 2010 11:44 AM

DavidParr

Alas, it's not the body it purports to be. It's a bit of an old has-been, I'm afraid.

From my experiences thus far (and it's been a good number of year since I joined when it was IEE, I diagnosed academic snobbery and the old guard syndrome some time ago.)
I think you are being unfair when looking at what the IET are doing today. They are inclusive, and anyone who has the relevant professional work experience and competence can achieve CEng, regardless of formal qualifications.

Academic snobbery is no more!

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 28 January 2010 12:57 PM

dvaidr

Originally posted by: DavidParr

I think you are being unfair when looking at what the IET are doing today. They are inclusive, and anyone who has the relevant professional work experience and competence can achieve CEng, regardless of formal qualifications.

Academic snobbery is no more!

Your opinion is on the basis of what?

On my basis of my experience of the IET and all its fripperies, academic snobbery is very much alive.

I remember Tony Blair saying some years ago, "We will do what is right"..............

Words evaporate very easily.......
IET » Management in engineering » Reliability Engineering

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.