Increase font size
Topic Title: Which Hnc??
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 March 2009 12:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 March 2009 12:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

haywood1981

I am currently on the tools but looking at moving into the office soon. I'm thinking of starting a Hnc in september but i'm wondering whether to go for Hnc in electrical & electronic engineering or a Hnc in project & contract management.

What are peoples opinions on these two courses and what route do most people take?

-------------------------
Dale Haywood TMIET
 10 March 2009 03:07 PM

westonpa

Dale,

I think you need to decide where you think your future interest is. If management and you are sure of it I would go with the studies that support that because you probably already have enough technical qualifications that will suffice for the technical knowledge required. If you are not sure that management will be the thing for you longer term, and you think you may need to return to the tools, then I would suggest to go with the studies that support that. Over time you could do both the HNC's, or more, therefore it does not have to be an either or.

Your options/routes depend on what qualifications you already hold, i.e., to gain entry, and what time you have available. You could study day release part time, distance learning, at your own pace, or part time evening study......best to look at your local colleges and universities and see what they have available and if they have nowt then your option will probably be distance learning. Most people have a tough time with the maths requirements, which will be even more technical with electrical/electronics because engineering is a maths/numbers based subject for the most part. But whichever option you consider also look at the project requirements because you will need to do one. Regards.
 11 March 2009 08:39 AM

allistersmith

Hi

At my workplace, the electrical route seems very popular.

www.adamsmith.ac.uk

Best Wishes

Ally
 31 July 2009 11:16 PM

Pari

In the present climate according to a few friends, the on site route is not currently doing too well. Regarding the office work I believe the above westonpa summed up the matter nicely. It is really your choice as to what you as a person feel most comfortable in doing.

Regards. Pari.

Edited to moved links

Edited: 01 August 2009 at 10:46 AM by IET Moderator
 03 August 2009 10:02 AM

BrookesP

Dale,

have you considered a HNC in building services engineering (electrical). With you coming from a tools background i would have thought this would be the most obvious choice for you. I am currently studying this course and the modules that are covered are:

Design Principles & Application
Services Science (mechanical)
Analytical Methods (maths)
Electrical Installation (A)
Lighting Applications
Management Principles & Application
Group Project
Health Safety & Welfare
Building Fire Protection & Security
Electrical Installation (B)

-------------------------
"Excellence is the ability to do ordinary things, extraordinarily well."
John W. Gardner

"The capacity to learn is a gift;
The ability to learn is a skill;
The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice."

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." Malcolm X
 15 May 2013 11:55 AM

allistersmith

Hi Dale

I currently teach on the HNC Electrical Engineering at adam Smith College; unfortunately we don't offer distance learning if this was what you planned and if so my colleague at Carnegie College, Alan Brown, would be the best chap to speak to. If you are considering full-time and are based in Fife, my colleague David Livie would be the chap to speak to. Currently there are no combined HNC's in Electrical and Electronic Engineering though you may be able to study some electronics units as options in the HNC Electrical.

As far a management qualifications are concerned, I always say to students to do this after their engineering qualification and look at gaining atleast an HNC in it.

The two colleges are due to merge in August under the new name of Fife College. Our website is www.adamsmith.ac.uk

Not intending this to be a shameless plug for the colleges, but I hope this answers your questions.

Regards

Ally (Smith)
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.