Topic Title: Employing people with Asperger syndrome
Topic Summary: Advice for my son
Created On: 06 May 2007 06:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 July 2007 03:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

Something that few realise is that the law enables discrimination on the grounds of disability, unlike with religion, sexuality, ethnicity, age etc. Surprised?
This is largely understandable, necessary but as ever give someone an inch where money is involved... so accomodation, reasonable adjustments tends to mean little.

This is absolutely true. Despite so called disability discrimination laws, companies are still nervous when it comes to employing disabled people for anything other than low skill menial positions.

I have received information that some HR people are taking an interest in employing people with Asperger syndrome, but line managers are still unconvinced. This is because they see no business case for employing people with Asperger syndrome

What is good work in technical fields today?
A lot of the work has been exported offshore so unless you want to compete with people on low pay, which you cannot, don't. Manufacturing is largely dead now.

I'm wondering if changes to the economy have resulted in people with Asperger syndrome being of virtually no economic value outside of public administration. I know some parents who tell me that it is a waste of time and effort for people with Asperger syndrome to bother obtaining qualifications higher than GCSE level because they won't be able to use them for anything. I know some teenagers with Asperger syndrome who are looking at administration jobs in the council or civil service because they think they are the only organisations willing to employ them.

A decision has been made that a degree will be a waste of time and effort for my son, so he is looking at working as an electronic or computer technician despite intellectually punching below his weight. Something he has expressed an interest in is a clinical technologist working in a hospital. We are investigating how to achieve this.
 23 March 2009 06:50 PM

jencam

Company (in California) seeks autistic employees

Symmetry Electronics in Hawthorne, CA is actively seeking out individuals on the Autism Spectrum for employment according to an article in the Wall Street Journal. Symmetry has partnered with Focus on All Child Therapies (FACT) to bring awareness and education to there existing employees on the Autism Spectrum.

FACT then helps match potential autistic candidates with jobs for Symmetry and other companies. According to Symmetry CEO Gil Zaharoni "The employees that we hired as a result are extremely talented and bright individuals and have become valuable assets to Symmetry."

I think this is a great movement and can offer a lot of hope and resouces to those individuals with Atusim as well as companies who wish to be able to tap the unique gifts people on the Autism Spectrum have.

AspieWeb.net
 25 January 2012 11:57 PM

LNNSherwood

Very interesting has there been any or significant progress. Interested to know as I recently had a diagnosis of Aspergers. I do have the current advantage of having a job and now a few years of experience in the field I am working in. I have a HND in electronic and electrical engineering and a good one at that. Has he pursued working as a clinical technologist working in a hospital? It would be great to hear how successful he has been in gaining employment and working in a responsible and what must be an important job. Feel free to PM me as would like to hear more.
IET » Management in engineering » Employing people with Asperger syndrome

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.