Increase font size
Topic Title: The status of engineers - 10 Downing Street's online petition
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 February 2007 10:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 February 2007 10:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_CARF

I have been made aware of the following petition which I forward for information and action if you so wish.

Astronautics engineer Jon Jennings has this week leapt on the online petition bandwagon to call for the title of "engineer" to be a protected title. Jennings has joined an escalating list of people using 10 Downing Street's online petition trial to drum up support for his campaign to restore respect in engineers.

"Car mechanics, plumbers and electricians are now commonly referred to as engineers and banks now regard engineers as semi skilled," says his petition.

So if you agree that the status of the engineer is undervalued in society sign the petition:

Link removed/Engineer-Status/
 27 February 2007 12:24 PM

achung

This petition has been made known to these fora by Graham Webb on 13.2.2007 through the thread "Professional Engineering".

-------------------------
Allen Chung
MSc(Eng) MSc CEng MIET MIEE CPEng MIEAust MHKCS SeniorMIIE
 20 June 2007 03:05 PM

bmilner

I have signed the similar petition about protecting Chartered Engineer (rather than Astronautics/Aeronautics engineer), but on reflection wouldn't it be more appropriate to petition the IET first, for the IET to deal with the government? I think this is how doctors go about it, through the BMA.

Best wishes
Brett
 20 June 2007 07:38 PM

hullion

Unfortunately the undervaluing of the status of engineers is to endemic in the UK for anything to change it through politicians. I know alot of people who would have been counted as Software Engineers who instead choose to use the title Developer as it carries more status. Sadly it can also improve your Car Insurance quote as the title engineer is seen as someone who is likely to do a lot of driving in their work.

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject within the YMB (Younger Memeber's Board). Infact trying to raise the status of the IET to similar to the BMA was one thought that occured to us. The fact that the IET does consult/comment to the government on issues in the same way that the BMA does is not publised in my opinion which could help raise the profile of "Engineering" but I still don't see the general term Engineer gaining better recognition. I think we need to focus on the protected titles of EngTech, IEng and CEng. If we can raise awareness of these title then it may have a knock on effect.

As for the usage of the title I just remember a survey done on a street a few years ago where people where asked to name the most famous engineer they could think of... So who do you guess? Brunel, Faraday, Stevenson? I would even have accepted Scottie or Jordie (for the non-Trekkies they are the "Engineers") but no the most famous engineer was Kevin the Car Mechanic on Coronation Street!

Phil Hornby

"No plan survives contact with the enemy... or management... or sales"
 21 July 2007 10:16 PM

deleted_rusdyhartungi

How far is this petition ?
IS there any news ?

Eur Ing. Dr. Rusdy Hartungi, CEng MIET, MCIBSE, MSc, MTech, MBA, BEng (Hons), IntPE(UK)
 20 July 2010 12:22 PM

aandreou00

hullion:

Were you joking about 'Kevin from Coronation Street' or is it true? If so, it just goes to show the ignorance surrounding the engineering profession, and also how few people actually know who engineers are and what real engineers do. I think this is a huge problem, as well as bringing up the status of the IET and other professional institutions (IMehcE, IChemE etc) to a higher level of recognition.

Perhaps now that the new government is settled in, it would be prudent to initiate another petition and see how the new government responds.
 20 July 2010 01:43 PM

tickner

Nope, I remember about "kevin" - although that was a long time ago (90's) since I remember hearing about it when I was on the YMC/B.

Maybe we ought to have another survey on some suitable website and see what people think now?

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 22 December 2010 01:46 PM

dvaidr

Does it really matter?

Kevin in Coronation Street can't sign a passport application, but an IEng or CEng can......

Frankly I'm not bothered what people think of me.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.