Increase font size
Topic Title: Key Performance Indicators
Topic Summary: examples required
Created On: 05 February 2007 10:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 February 2007 10:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ron Collins

Hi
Can anyone give me examples of KPI's in maintenance and how effective they are?
Ron
 08 February 2007 01:11 AM

bobg

This is another how long is a piece of string question and depends largely on what assets you are managing, what strategic context exists for their use, what systems of maintenance you use, what corporate KPI measurement system you might have and so on.

For example if you have a fairly simple approach to maintenance then the first link includes a fairly comprehensive list of potential maintenance KPIs (page 3 of the article). And the second is more of a discussion overview that may add further context.
Link 1
Link 2

If your company uses Strategy Maps in its strategy deployment and the Balanced Scorecard as its performance management system then the following article on the "maintenance scorecard" may be more appropriate.
Link3

There again if you are very sophisticated (or wish to be) in your maintenance management system then perhaps KPIs related to Reliability Centered Maintenance may be best for you. If you are unfamiliar with RCM this link is a good introduction. Link4

The following link highlights a book by John Moubray (a recognised world leader and pioneer in the development of RCM) which includes a chapter on maintenance metrics Link5
(this may have been further updated in 2001 see Amazon.co.uk)
And to finish off the company John founded can be found here
Link6

Good Luck

Edited: 08 February 2007 at 01:14 AM by bobg
 08 February 2007 08:19 AM

kasese

Ron,
There are 100's on the web - try www..plant-maintenance.com gives some links. think it is a company called Idcon has a good PM section.

Regards,
Tim Guy
 08 February 2007 09:48 PM

Ron Collins

Thanks for the information, I found it very useful. Reading into the subject it would seem that a lot of companies use KPI's, however they seem to be in the minority if they have set them up correctly from what I have read the majority of companies just use them as a numbers manufacturing system and don't use them to focus on the important issues to improve their maintenance.
Anyway thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Regards
Ron
 09 February 2007 12:09 PM

kasese

Ron,
It's a case of using the best KPI's to get what you need - there are a lot of useless one if they do not suit your requirements. Why do the measuremnts if you don't use the figures!

Tim
 19 June 2007 09:13 PM

jongriff

Ron,
There are 3 KPI's I would suggest

a. Machine/process downtime (hours).
For each machine or process the downtimes (mechanical or electrical) are recorded as part of our OEE.

b. Cost of downtime (£)
Having the downtime data (hours) allows you to calculate a cost for the loss of production, using either the machine hourly rate or cost of product lost/missed due to the machine breakdown. Using this type of measure allows you to illusrtrate the financial impact of any machine downtime, also its an easy KPI for everyone within to understand and relate to, inparticular those people with limited knowledge of maintenance.

c. Maintenance budget or spend
Record the monthly spend for the maintenance department or team. The amount spent on maintenance should ensure that cost of machine downtime and loss of production are kept to £0.00, as far possible. The aim should be for maintenance to be self funding, ie whatever money is spent on maintenance should aim to deliver a financial saving or benefit.

I hope this helps.
Jonathan Griffiths CEng MIET

-------------------------
Jonathan Griffiths CEng MIEE
 29 June 2007 10:55 AM

dvaidr

Reliability metrics, (MTBF - Mean Time BEFORE Failure, not Mean Time Between Failure since this only applies to constant failure rate), tend to be more accurate than OEE. Reliability looks at the functionality of the asset where as Availability can be 'fudged' to look good.

An example is a conveyor system, where the first stage of the conveyor fails but because human resources are available to hand ball the product on to the 2nd stage there dosn't appear to be a failure and availablity becomes pseudo in nature.

If you were to look at failure interval and just as improtantly Mean Time to Repair it would give you a better idea as to how the asseet was perfoming.

That said, reliability can aslo be 'fudged'. It's a matter of disciplien at the end of the day.
 20 February 2011 03:17 AM

hdblue

Originally posted by: dvaidr

Reliability metrics, (MTBF - Mean Time BEFORE Failure, not Mean Time Between Failure since this only applies to constant failure rate), tend to be more accurate than OEE. Reliability looks at the functionality of the asset where as Availability can be 'fudged' to look good.

An example is a conveyor system, where the first stage of the conveyor fails but because human resources are available to hand ball the product on to the 2nd stage there dosn't appear to be a failure and availablity becomes pseudo in nature.

If you were to look at failure interval and just as improtantly Mean Time to Repair it would give you a better idea as to how the asseet was perfoming.

That said, reliability can aslo be 'fudged'. It's a matter of disciplien at the end of the day.

Hi,

Thank very much for posting. Your imformation is fantactis. It help me to think about my ideal.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: KPI
Tks again and pls keep posting

Edited: 24 February 2011 at 09:51 AM by hdblue
 31 March 2011 09:05 AM

mrngorickets

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: keyperformanceindicators.info

Best regards.

Edited: 11 April 2011 at 03:04 AM by mrngorickets
 28 March 2012 04:18 AM

tua022012

Thanks for your link. It's useful for our community.
Same material can be found at : Asset management KPIs
I hope it's useful for you and you like it. Please continue sharing more information at this topic.
Best rgs!

Edited: 04 April 2012 at 03:26 PM by tua022012
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.