IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is CEng of any value?
Topic Summary: Has CEng been of use to you in your career?
Created On: 05 December 2006 10:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 4 5 6 7 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 February 2012 06:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

Originally posted by: nhaughton

I can't remember specifically, but most jobs for the the big engineering firms require it for posts with technical responsibility (beyond supervisory). I'm going back over a period of 40 years though. I eventually re-qualified and moved into software engineering where it does not seem so important.

It does not seem to show up in 'most' of the job advertisments. I worked for two very large multi national engineering firms and in senior positions and I never came across the requirement to have CEng. If you have been in software engineering for some time then maybe your CEng friends have the higher standard of living because they remained in their first profession and so built up their professional experience rather than change their career path. Of course CEng has value but it's the person who holds it who represents primary value.

Regards.
 16 April 2013 07:26 PM

MosheW

Remember there is a larger more important organization that values you- the public- you were granted the CEng, IEng, EngTech because you proved via hard work to be an individual that the greater society needs .

Engineers! Respect yourself enough and be able to look yourself in a mirror and be proud of that person you see and know you have done no one any harm and you are doing the best you can growing in life and career and all is good. Be proud of accomplishing your goals and think of yourself as someone who could help another achieve their goals and be of service to them.

Keep up the great job and continue to be an example of what a great engineer really is and dreams and goals can be achieved.

You have the professional prestige that others ho are not registered wanted, but for whatever reason could not attain it. Show them where to begin the registration process.

Usually who tells us "you don't need it," don't have it. It is human nature to discredit what you don't have. Non-degreed engineers don't see the value in a piece of paper saying you are an Engineer.. Non-licensed engineers likewise .

When hiring manager interviews engineers for a position, what the degree and the CEng\IEng\EngTech says is: "Here is a person that knows how to work hard, with little reward, for a long term goal. Here is a person that can think analytically. Here is a person that can learn. Here is a person that adds value and credibility to my organization."
 17 April 2013 04:03 PM

amillar

Originally posted by: MosheW
...with little reward...

I hope it doesn't say that!!

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 30 April 2013 08:06 PM

MosheW

Today sadly in the market - with little reward - means that many employers don't require engineer to be CEng in order to get hired. So if an engineer undertook this task they may get little reward for it for that type of employer.

But even then CEng is a person that adds value and credibility to the organization."

MOre needs to be done for higher recognition of CEng.
IET » Management in engineering » Is CEng of any value?

<< 4 5 6 7 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.