IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Saving for digital posterity
Topic Summary: British Library launches a mega-project to preserve the “digital memory” of the UK
Created On: 30 May 2013 05:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 May 2013 05:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Morcom

I share the Alice Jones (Independent) reaction to which I would add the following from my exposure to what can only be a miniscule fraction of the material to be "harvested by the British Library:-

The reviews and comments that I have read on news reports and Twitter seem almost entirely to have been compiled by semi-literates whose incoherent, ungrammatical, and mis-spelt postings would more accurately be described as rants, not arguments or informative.
I want to believe that the posters are not typical of the nation. I find support in this view from the limited number of names that appear in the listings.
Do the views of a self-selecting group of ranters warrant collection as being representative of our age? At the very least, the action plan should be supported by some statistically based assessment of the demography represented by the posters.
 30 May 2013 08:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

oneye

My understanding is that the Library would save 'News and Views' and similar website data. I would suggest gathering data from every website would be impractical and unrealistic, as the definition of British is a little vague. In any case I would not regard twitter or facebook as representative of views of the majority.

It may well be just a snoopers charter as described for Government use.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.