Increase font size
Topic Title: Wiring up usb from a ps/2 plug
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 October 2012 10:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 October 2012 10:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

cbat82

Hi All,

Hope anyone can help me. I have a controller that has a ps/2 connector on the end and i want to change it to work on usb. Problem is if you put a ps/2 to usb connector on it, it will only power the controller but not register it on the pc. There are 6 wires in there red (dc) black (ground) then there is orange yellow brown and green?? on the usb there is 4 pins so how would this work. Thanks for your time people
 26 October 2012 11:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amillar

I would assume that the adapter has a small processor in it which handles the USB protocol on one side and the PS/2 protocol on the other - it's not just connecting the wires from one pin to another.

Whenever I've used these they've just worked, although I have found with USB devices generally that sometimes you have to unplug them and plug them back in for the PC to detect them, and (depending on your machine) trying ports on different parts of the machine can help wake it up and make it take notice.

As the old saying goes: have you tried turning it off and on again?

P.S. I'm not surprised the PS/2 device is receiving power, both USB and PS/2 use +5V, so the 5V power will flow through even if none of the processors are talking to each other.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.