IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: cat5/6 cables entering cabinet.
Topic Summary: advise sought please gents.
Created On: 06 July 2010 08:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 July 2010 08:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

24Hour

ive wired a 48 no cat5 cables to a cabinet and installed 2no 24 way patch panels,( large probebly 6ft tall panel) in a school.
now beacuse the existing panels have fiber conections approx 10 and approx 250 other cat5/6 cables there was very little room in the wiring ways at the bottom of the cabinet, thus on site at 10pm sigh ! I cut a 32mm hole in the rear top of the cabinet and have run and terminated all the cables neatly in trunking and cable ties, with all outgoing legs tested and verified.

Now the data guy has attened a week later to patch the over to the new switch and has stated this isnt up to standard and must be replaced.( to cut long story short lot of work).

To save some face anyone have a reg number or similar for example this breaks as to me i cant see the problem, however as not being a data enginner by trade im open to sugestions, to help me.

many
thanks
andy

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 06 July 2010 09:56 PM

mbirdi

Generally speaking CAT 5 cables are run under floor tiles to keep them out of the way and looking tidy. But if you can't run anymore cables because it's getting clogged up where the cables rise from the hole in the floor tile up to the cabinet(s) then your only option is to run them overhead. There's nothing wrong with that provided it's not run along mains cables. With fibre cables it doesn't matter about running them along mains cables. As long as it's tidy and you can show that it was impossible to run them underneath because of the clogging and you have tested them to CAT 5 certification then that should be acceptable. Your data chap might just be complaining because they don't like the look of the installation work..

Remember CAT 5 is suitable for data rates of up to 100 MBits/Sec up to 100 meters. If you're running at 1 Gigabits/Sec at 100 meters then you need CAT 5e preferrably CAT 6. See data sheet.

Hope that helps.
 07 July 2010 09:03 AM

gkenyon

Generally, it's recommended that data cabling is designed and implemented in accordance with the recommendations of:

BS EN50173-series
BS EN50174-series

Both these series of standards are referenced from BS7671 along with BS EN50310 (for earthing provisions).

Specifications may also be generated in line with EIA/EIA 942.

In addition to ensuring segregation from mains cabling (and separation under the conditions specified in EN50174-series), as mbirdi points out, EN50174-series also discusses recommended distances of IT cabling from certain kinds of lighting and other plant/appliances, although if it's in earthed metallic containment, then the risk of EMC problems is reduced.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.