Increase font size
Topic Title: Ethernet Cat5e network
Topic Summary: Advice please!
Created On: 03 April 2010 04:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 April 2010 04:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

insafehands

Hi,

A customer has asked me to install a home Ethernet network for their internet access (they do not want to use wireless).

The network will consist of 3 access points, 1 desktop PC, 1 laptop PC and a Xbox 360.

I am going to use Cat5e RJ45 cables and sockets etc.

1) Can anyone recommend the best router to use?

2) Can anyone suggest somewhere to find a table containing
space/fill factor info. for min-trunking Cat5e able capacity?

3) What type of certification would be appropriate for this type
of installation?

Any help appreciated.
 18 April 2010 03:59 PM

sjuggins

Well I'm assuming these 3 access points will need to connect to the internet, and this will be done through a DSL circuit?

You can basically use any DSL based modem/router, they typically come with 4 switch ports anyway. Good makes are Linksys (Cisco), Netgear, Belkin etc.

Not sure what you are asking on the trunking side? If you mean what size trunking will be sufficient, then it really depend how and where you are going to run the cables? Typically the smallest trunking available will be fine for the single runs of cabling.

With regards to the certification, probably something like Network+ would be sufficient for this type of work. It's a very basic install and just requires some cabling and configuration, most of which is done out of the box.

HTH,
Stuart.
 12 May 2010 12:55 PM

lowson_i

Originally posted by: insafehands

Hi,

A customer has asked me to install a home Ethernet network for their internet access (they do not want to use wireless).

The network will consist of 3 access points, 1 desktop PC, 1 laptop PC and a Xbox 360.

I am going to use Cat5e RJ45 cables and sockets etc.

[IGL] Cat5e will be more than adequate for the job. Data rates for simple file sharing and internet access are probably not relevant. Obviously the internet link will be the bottle-neck.

1) Can anyone recommend the best router to use?

Any off the shelf ADSL(bridge)/ router will suffice. [Bridge meaning a "bridge" between the DSL PSTN (phone line) and CAT5e LAN (network cabling you are putting in)]
If you are wanting "20 mbps" make sure the ADSL (broadband bit) supports this speed. Some have firewalls and intuative HTTP administration interfaces. I've found D-Link to be reliable enough.

2) Can anyone suggest somewhere to find a table containing space/fill factor info. for min-trunking Cat5e able capacity?

3) What type of certification would be appropriate for this type of installation?

[IGL] You have come to the right place! Check out the IET (IEE) 17th Edition wiring regs as this now contains a section all about "data cabling". Thus passing the 17th Edition course may give you the certification you are looking for. There might even be a specific data cabling course!

-------------------------
Ian Lowson MIET

Do or do not, there is no try!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.