Increase font size
Topic Title: laptop or netbook
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 September 2009 06:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 September 2009 06:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lauren

Hi, I have a doubt I don't know if I should buy a laptop or a netbook I know laptops are better but I need something I can take it everywhere like a netbook, searching for some information I found this site where you can win free laptop, the diference is that I have to buy it, that's why I want to take the right decision; so give me your opinions please or past experiences that you had with netbooks or laptops.

Link removed

Edited: 02 October 2009 at 08:03 AM by IET Moderator
 30 September 2009 08:08 PM

westonpa

If you can run all the software you need and the screen and KB size are ok for you get a netbook else get a laptop. I have used laptops for many years and yes I have to carry something around but even with the netbook we need to carry something, after all it is not like a small mobile phone.

Regards.
 30 September 2009 08:37 PM

Backintime

Some laptops may have all sorts of interfacing connectors - e.g., for docking station etc. And it has a DVD drive.

Most Netbooks usually have only SD card drives, Solid state hard drives and usb connectors - very few comes with a DVD drive.

The choice is yours!
 30 September 2009 09:04 PM

Roundtrip

You can get laptops that are small enough to use as you say but still have all the features that you don't get with Netbooks.

The last three years I have used a Toshiba Portege M400 that has served me well. Almost as small as a Netbook with a 12" screen.

As pointed out already, the lack of an optical drive can be a big pain to a lot of people. You can always buy an external USB optical drive for use with a Netbook to get around this problem.

-------------------------
Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 30 September 2009 09:49 PM

michaelward

Depends on the netbook, but not all of them run the most common O.S. which is MS Windows, a lot run a version of Linux, so beware.
Netbook is for browsing the net and doing simple on-line tasks, cloud computing really. A notebook will more than likely have some flavour of MS Windows and can be used for both on-line and off-line computing applications.

You can purchase small laptops that are quite powerful and do everything that you need, I have a Sony Vaio I use for travelling, with a 10.5" screen.
It all depends on how much you want to spend really, you get what you pay for.
 30 September 2009 10:39 PM

ernairnp

I have the following doubt:

Data: In India, a reasonably good laptop is available at 25 to 30 thousand INR. Same model- REFURBISHED, is available for 15 to 20 thousand INR from resellers who sell through Internet only.The supplier give one year waranty also. My licensed versions of Microsoft XP and Office 2007 are purchased from such a supplier and are giving trouble free perfomance.

Doubt: In general, what are general opinions of users of refurbished laptops in USA, Europe, India etc? My doubt for all Interner purchases of Hardwares is, say from the above said supplier, how can good perfomance be guaranteed? Also the responsibility of the product is with the original vendor, not the Internet supplier to whome the money is sent.

So, in case of any complaint, just sent the item to the original supplier and believe in their integrity only?

I have purchased through Internet by online Card payment, large number of items mainly books, software and other CDs etc. But never I had ordered any hardware through Internet- even a screw driver!

Best wishes & regards
N P NAIR, MSc (Engg), C Eng, FIE(I), MIEE,Sr MIEEE.
 30 September 2009 10:48 PM

Roundtrip

This will depend on:
1. The consumer protection and any distance selling laws in force in India.
2. The T&Cs of the supplier.

I've had a few customers buy refurbed models here in the UK and they have found them a good deal. Can't recall having one that has failed prematurely. However, this doesn't mean the same standards will be applied when dealing with refurbed machines elsewhere in the world.

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 01 October 2009 06:12 PM

ernairnp

Thanks Mr.John A Thomson for the information.

Best wishes & regards
N P NAIR, MSc (Engg), C Eng, FIE(I), MIEE,Sr MIEEE.
 01 October 2009 07:29 PM

lauren

thank you for all the information I know exactly what to do know.
 01 October 2009 08:49 PM

Roundtrip

Originally posted by: lauren

thank you for all the information I know exactly what to do know.

... and what would that be? Come on you need to tell us!

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 04 October 2009 09:01 PM

michaelward

ernairnp Europe has a law where companies must give a 2 year warranty on products, whereas the UK gives a 12 month Warranty for new items and a 3 month warranty for second hand goods.
A bit strange in the UK, because if the product fails within the first 12 months, you contact the seller, however if the company is Eu based, then you need to contact them direct after that time. The same goes for second hand goods, providing you have the original warranty card, I believe the company will honour the 2 year warranty, although I am not certain of this.
I sent a monitor back quite recently, that had failed after 23 months, and the company honoured their agreement by sending me a refurbished monitor, with no hastle and within 3 days of me reporting it.
 19 November 2009 05:20 AM

Beautypiggy

I agree with ernairnp,
I purchased a dell netbook via ebay and even though it didnt mention anything...it was obvious that the thing was piece of refurbished junk...the extra few bucks are worth it in the long run if you buy from a reputable local store.
 10 February 2010 05:50 PM

TamLo

if you want to take it everywhere well a netbook it's the best option, and I want to share this great opportunity to win a Samsung N130 netbook totally free at this win free site you just need to register for free.
 20 February 2010 08:51 PM

RuthSam

The new HP mini 311 netbook is what I would choose, awesome design and ultra fast, the best is the price only about $400 in the US and when ordered directly on HP website, I'm just waiting to see more reviews on them I already checked it out in the shops, simply just awesome...

Just happy to be here...
 21 February 2010 09:53 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: RuthSam

The new HP mini 311 netbook is what I would choose, awesome design and ultra fast, the best is the price only about $400 in the US and when ordered directly on HP website, I'm just waiting to see more reviews on them I already checked it out in the shops, simply just awesome...

If it's so 'awesome' and it's the one you would choose then why are you 'just waiting to see more reviews'?

Regards.
 24 February 2010 01:19 PM

RuthSam

Just because would buy it and find it looks great why then not wait to find any reviews, not that strange isn't it ?

Or do you buy all the new stuff right away without looking at what someone else have to say about it, if it is possible?

Just happy to be here...
 01 March 2010 07:15 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: RuthSam

Just because would buy it and find it looks great why then not wait to find any reviews, not that strange isn't it ?

Aha so your 'simply awesome' statement was in relation to its looks......fair enough now I understand.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.