IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Internet Explorer 8
Topic Summary: Is IE8 better than IE7 and worth installing?
Created On: 28 May 2009 10:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 May 2009 10:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RUBERY

Windows Update is asking me to install Internet Explorer 8. I have only just got used to IE7. Is IE8 really worth the further possible disruption?

-------------------------
Georgie Porgy
 28 May 2009 10:49 AM

Roundtrip

Been using it since its launch. The only downside I can see is the time it takes to open your home page when first started and subsequent new tabs.

It is pretty similar to IE7, hence it isn't as steep a learning curve to upgrade to IE8 as it was to go from IE6 to IE7.

You may find the occasional website that doesn't like IE8, but so far the vast majority of the websites I visit work without any issue.

There is no rush to upgrade to IE8 at the moment if you're happy with IE7. Delaying any upgrade will give Microsoft some time to fix any issues over the coming months.

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 28 May 2009 09:57 PM

deleted_1_Nimer

As a matter of fact, since I'm using XP on a reasonably slow computer, I've completely ignored all IE updates & stuck with IE 6. Needless for me to say that I never ran into any problems with it.

It all depends on your taste & your system; I've stuck with IE 6 because my system runs faster without IE 7 (& because I hate IE 7/8's layout). I also greatly detest Vista & Windows 7 because these operating systems weren't created with low-end specifications in mind (i.e.: Microsoft purposely renderd my IBM R51 laptop into a low-end machine thanks to their abominable programming).

Regardless, if you're using Vista, it's best to use IE 7/8 (but since I'm using XP, I'm sticking with IE 6).

Technology: something that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists & technicians!

( Lousy modern technology! )
 29 May 2009 05:15 PM

SkiptomyLou

Thanks for the feedback....I too was looking for some info on IE8.
 29 May 2009 07:01 PM

Roundtrip

Originally posted by: Nimer

As a matter of fact, since I'm using XP on a reasonably slow computer, I've completely ignored all IE updates & stuck with IE 6. Needless for me to say that I never ran into any problems with it.

It all depends on your taste & your system; I've stuck with IE 6 because my system runs faster without IE 7 (& because I hate IE 7/8's layout). I also greatly detest Vista & Windows 7 because these operating systems weren't created with low-end specifications in mind (i.e.: Microsoft purposely renderd my IBM R51 laptop into a low-end machine thanks to their abominable programming).

Regardless, if you're using Vista, it's best to use IE 7/8 (but since I'm using XP, I'm sticking with IE 6).

That's strange! I found IE7 on XP to perform better than IE6, but I suppose there will be some configuration of system and addins that may cause problems. In fact, I can remember when I first used IE7, immediately after release, I had to disable all manner of problem addins to get a stable browser. Can't recall such problems for quite some time now as the vendors fixed their problem addins a while back.

The security improvements and tabbed browsing in IE7 now make me cringle in distain any time I come across IE6! However, each to his own and all that . Interested to hear what IE7 does to your system. How does it run using the Internet Explorer (No Addins) short cut?

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 29 May 2009 07:06 PM

Roundtrip

I should also add that I minimise the accelerators and addins that get installed or turned on during installation. Most of them are complete fluff and seem to affect the performance of IE8.

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 02 June 2009 12:43 AM

jakesIE8team

RUBERY,

IE8 is a great new browser with lots of new features, including speed and security, that you can read about here: Link removed/windo....aspx?tabid=1&catid=1

You can download it from this location if you choose: Link removed/windo...ie.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a

If you have problems installing IE8, take a look at this how-to guide to dealing with installation issues: Link removed/kb/949220

Lastly, if you experience any other problems after a successful installation, visit the Internet Explorer 8 troubleshooting page for solutions: Link removed/ph/807

I hope you enjoy surfing the web with your new browser!

- Jake
 05 June 2009 02:53 AM

deleted_1_Nimer

Originally posted by: jakesIE8team

RUBERY,

IE8 is a great new browser with lots of new features, including speed and security, that you can read about here: http://www.microsoft.com/windo...tabid=1&catid=1

You can download it from this location if you choose: http://www.microsoft.com/windo...x?ocid=ie8_sm_a

If you have problems installing IE8, take a look at this how-to guide to dealing with installation issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

Lastly, if you experience any other problems after a successful installation, visit the Internet Explorer 8 troubleshooting page for solutions: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/807

I hope you enjoy surfing the web with your new browser!

- Jake

I believe that he already understands how & where to download it; his chief problem was wether or not the GUI & performance of said program has remained the same (as compared to IE 6 & IE 7).

However, as Roundtrip has said, the speed of newer IE versions on my computer have dropped due to my OSes configuration. I have never used any special/extra add-ins when I tried IE 7, but because of the numerous ActiveX controls that IE 6 has accumulated over the years (along with their associated registry entries,) IE 7 ran slow, regardless of removing/disabling any included add-ins.

I even remembered clearing out my temporary files & cleaning my orphaned registries using my BartPE disk, but to no avail. Note that I experienced IE 7 while using an IBM R51 laptop; it has a 1.6 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, a 60 GB hard disk & Windows XP Pro SP3.

Technology: something that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists & technicians!

( Lousy modern technology! )
 05 June 2009 01:56 PM

Roundtrip

Try this blog article:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/...plorer-8-ie8-in-vista/

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 08 June 2009 06:40 PM

Roundtrip

Download the IE8 block tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/downl...ec6dd8c&displaylang=en

Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit
 24 June 2009 11:11 AM

mikepyne

The following are the advantages that IE8 over IE7.

* Data URI
* JSON
* Networking Improvements
* Rendering Engine Improvements
* New Developer Features
* Scripting Improvements
* Selectors API
* Memory Management Improvements

Hope your doubts are clear.
Regards
Mike

Link removed
 05 July 2009 01:17 PM

Jack

Just use Firefox instead. It's so much better
 04 August 2009 02:06 PM

sayed

I installed IE 8 yesterday and so far am quite pleased with it. Was a little painfull installing with dial-up (approx. 3 hours to download and install program and updates) Even on my dial-up (50.6 Kbps) pages seem to load faster than with IE 7. It takes a little longer to initially load the IE 8 program but a few more seconds is OK with me. Have had no problems with any web sites so far, but time will tell.

maryland vw | maryland used cars | baltimore vw
 21 September 2009 05:50 PM

howard001

Hi,
I don't think there is much difference in IE7 and IE8 both are almost same. except few plugins

Link removed/weighttrainingprogramadvice
 29 September 2009 07:01 PM

michaelward

IE8 is merely trying to play catch-up with other browsers.
Google recently ran Chrome in IE8 and it ran something like 8 times faster, Firefox on the other hand has had much of this functionality for some time, plus the fact it is more secure for browsing.
There was a report not so long back, that rated IE as being one of the least secure browsers, only just beating Chrome, whereas FF was classified, along with Opera, as being one of the most secure. However in the same report, the security company slammed all makes of browser to be no where near secure enough.If you want secure surfing, use an anonymous IP and a sandbox. For speed, ditch IE if you can.
 19 July 2010 01:22 PM

johanschiphorst

Dear all,

About IE8 I had a look at the posts and any browser information.

But who can suggest a solution with this IE8 problem I have for my windowsXP operating system?

I was comparing what MSN Explorer could offer me that is more than IE8.
I chose for IE8 instead and deactivated MSN Explorer I thought.
But starting IE8 I noticed now that it starts in its base mode only with out the add-ins.

Why does MSN Explorer cause a conflict with IE8 and corrupting it by taking out the add-ins?
What is now the way to restore IE8 to its original state with all the add-ins etc. on my pc?

In the past when surfing the web I would get a notification in the IE8 taskbar / menu to allow a plug-in or application to open a web page etc. and I could choose to allow it to be used for all websites.

Looking forward to the answer.
Note: It will possibly make it a lot easier for me to work with Rhythmyx CMS on my pc.

Thanks, regards,
Johan
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.