Increase font size
Topic Title: Technology that has died since the year 2000
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 March 2014 11:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 March 2014 11:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

What electronic devices were ubiquitous in the year 2000 but are now extinct or confined to a few legacy applications?

A few examples to start off with are floppy drives, cathode ray tubes, NICAM sound, credit and debit cards with magnetic strips, and parallel ports on PCs.
 10 March 2014 12:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

gencam,

Not sure that I understand your post. For example I fitted a simple toggle switch which enabled us to override the time switch without the need to get your feet wet. The "qualified" electrician who now replaces me has removed my toggle switch and cable and replaced it with a radio link operated via a handheld gadget with multiple buttons. Leaving aside my detestation of gadgets I would point out that the handheld button gadget gets lost, can develop a fault and nobody can remember which buttons to press in whatever order! In my opinion that electrician should have paid me rather than the other way around.

I do agree with you as regards abandoning the very useful floppy disk - not as though it took up much of the spare space in the carcass of my present computer which, in any event, is stuffed with useless software which Microsoft hopes will increase the sales worthiness of computers that today confuse even themselves!

But then, if anything, IT is only leading the headlong rush into insanity which is fuelled by the decreasing standards of education.

Ken Green
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.