IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 3-axis accelerometer with bluetooth or wireless
Topic Summary: Does anyone know where I could source this?
Created On: 30 October 2013 09:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 October 2013 09:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

asjohnstone

I am looking to use a 3-axis accelerometer with bluetooth or wireless in a research project and I wondered where I could source such a device.

Any advice would be appreciated.

AS Johnstone BEng(Hons) MBA CEng MIET AMIMECH
 30 October 2013 10:42 AM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: asjohnstone

I am looking to use a 3-axis accelerometer with bluetooth or wireless in a research project and I wondered where I could source such a device.

Any advice would be appreciated.

AS Johnstone BEng(Hons) MBA CEng MIET AMIMECH

What are the other constraints in your requirements?

Size?, Weight?, Power Consumption? (i.e. How long will the deviice need to operate on the batteries specifed?), Cost? (i.e. can it be bespoke (more expensive in your time or someone elses) or do you want to buy a complete module off the self even if this imposes extra constraints what you can do with the device in terms of your intended application? (cheaper in your time)

Do you want to measure other things at the same time?
Will this requirement arise as your research progresses?
Do you want some processing capability in the device and be able to update the firmware yourself as your research progresses?

In terms of wireless what is the range of operation. In regards to Bluetooth some equipment has a 10m range and some 100m range.

What is the nature and constrains on the equipment you want to interface with wirelessly?
Will it be battery operated and mobile?
Do you want to use a particular serial protocol, for compatibility with other devices?

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 30 October 2013 11:44 AM

asjohnstone

Many thanks for the email. Size wise would be anything up to match box size, weight not an issue but power may be. 24hr operation would be good although it would make sense to use 2 or more devices if I can keep the cost down. Don't think it would be bespoke at this stge but if things pan out I'd definitely like to have it as small as possble and possibly with a build in alarm for lack of activity but that could be something down the line.

Processing capability would probably be useful but down the line. In the first instance it would be a case of downloading activity to a computer/device to monitor the readout and if needed we can develop software around this.

Battery operated and mobile would be good.

Many thanks for the help.

ASJ
 30 October 2013 12:37 PM

jarathoon

This is one possble product I found after a quick search on the web (I haven't used it and have no connections with the company)

They give a five hour lifetime between charges.

http://www.yeitechnology.com/y...#areas_of_application

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 30 October 2013 02:20 PM

asjohnstone

Great thanks. WIll have a look and see how much work it is to interrogate the data.

Much appreciated!

ASJ
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.