Increase font size
Topic Title: research project ideas?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 September 2013 10:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 September 2013 10:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jimflounders1984

Im about to start my research project for my final year of my foundation degree in electrical/electronic enginerring and I am struggling for inspiration on what to research. Our first year was pretty much all theory and i have very little hands on experience in the electronics field. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appriciated
 26 September 2013 12:44 PM

jarathoon

Thought 1: Building an electrical model of a neuron.

A widely used engineering model for a neuron is the McCulloch and Pitts model. There are others, but none seem to be a that good a model for a real neuron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neuron

Can you review the current state of the art and come up with or improve on an alternative electrical circuit model for a neuron that you can build and test electrically. Is it possible to build one that shows a much greater resemblance to the properties of a real neuron, than the McCulloch and Pitts model?

See for example
"An Introduction to Neural Computing", by Igor Aleksander and Helen Morton

"The Computational Brain", Patricia S. Churchland and Terrance J. Sejnowski

If you are not interested in investigating biological analogies then there are plenty of more mainstream topics.

Thought 2: One of the interesting things I used to play with is putting a magnet on an electron beam oscilloscope.

What you get is a sort of quick visual model for how charged particles might distribute themselves on hitting the earth's magnetic field. By taking digital photographs, try to map and quantify the distributions of light you get on the oscilloscope screen as you get as you move the magnet across the oscilloscope screen. Then try to model this and see if this model agrees with our understanding of what happens when charged particles from the solar wind become influenced by the earths magnetic field.

Thought 3: There are certain oscillator circuits using thermistors that can produce sine waves with low harmonic distortion and noise. What are the physical limits to how perfect you can make a sine wave output from an electronic oscillator circuit? Once you have created your oscillator circuit can you find a way of measuring its imperfections?

These thoughts are completely unrelated. I could have given a thought 4 in relation to thought 1, but I am sure you can come up with better ideas than me if you really force yourself to think creatively.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 27 September 2013 04:56 PM

jimflounders1984

Thanks for the reply, some really good ideas. i think some research into what i will research is needed before i commit to anything.
 22 October 2013 08:05 AM

rohitswt

Hi, Jim
here i have some research project ideas for electronics field.

Accident identification and alert system (using RF)

Advanced vehicle access control system

Agricultural robot

Auditorium controlling system using IR

Automatic college bell + Smoke detector

Automatic door light and Wash basin

Auto navigation tool for the blind people (3 Ultrasonic sensors) + LDR

Automatic station name display with voice alert for Bus

Automatic metro train to shuttle between stations

Anti theft alarm for Bike (using RF) or 12,800 using GSM (GSM module is not included)

Automatic railway gate control system

Auto dialer to owner telephone number on detecting burglary

Automatic surveillance camera panning system from PC

Automatic wireless health monitoring system in hospitals (using RF)

get more research project ideas at
Nevonprojects
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.