Increase font size
Topic Title: I would love some advice please
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 July 2013 11:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 July 2013 11:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

therealjamesbradley

Would you say an Electronic with Computer engineering graduate is fully qualified for work as a Software Engineer?

At the moment I have offers for Electronic and Computer engineering and I don't know many of the job prospects apart from Software engineering which is why I am asking

Are there any computer engineers out there who could give me advice about the degree please I would really appreciate it

Thank you,

James Bradley
 21 July 2013 08:45 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: therealjamesbradley

Would you say an Electronic with Computer engineering graduate is fully qualified for work as a Software Engineer?

At the moment I have offers for Electronic and Computer engineering and I don't know many of the job prospects apart from Software engineering which is why I am asking

Are there any computer engineers out there who could give me advice about the degree please I would really appreciate it

Thank you,

James Bradley
With the exception of a very few parts of the profession which require a specific accreditation (e.g MRAeS), there is no such thing as a "fully qualified engineer" in any discipline in the UK, - so in the examples you have given I wouldn't worry too much.

It's difficult to know from your post exactly what question you want an answer to - can you be more specific about your worries?

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 22 July 2013 08:35 AM

ectophile

I've been doing software engineering for over 20 years now, and I have no idea what "fully qualified" is. I don't think I am.

Your degree sounds like a good start if you want to get a job. But you'll be surprised how much you don't know once you start work.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 22 July 2013 04:03 PM

therealjamesbradley

Thank you for replying I guess what I am asking is what are the job prospects of a computer engineering degree holder?
 11 August 2013 10:18 AM

ajt113

I've been working recently with some recent graduates and the thing I have noticed that separates those we are fighting over and the one's we choose not to employ is nothing to do with their degree, its to do with their attitude.

It seems to me (as a general rule) those that have done a course with a year in industry are more desirable to us than those who have not.

I have my own hypothesis for this below.

From many years working with interns (year in industry students) attitude is also a key separator, it seems that the UK education system is generating graduates who can not cope with there not being a binary correct answer (i.e pass/fail, yes/no) and for alot of the interns it takes us from September to Easter to get this through to them. The sooner this penny drops the better the intern does. I think this is why grads who have done a year in industry do so much better at interview and in the early days of employment.
They realise there is often only the best answer to an engineering question.
 03 September 2013 04:16 AM

toom

Software engineers can do, of course, I think any work are connected with each other, as long as you work, you can get the results you want
The title of software engineer
Software Engineer I
Software Engineer II
Software Engineer III
Software Engineer IV
Software Engineer V
If you are interested, see here Link removed/?s=544864
 25 September 2013 04:40 PM

ferdousme

I really admire Toom's look. have a good day

thanks
mrosupply
 23 December 2013 05:36 AM

plcautomation

Many computer engineers also get jobs as programmers. While they have less programming experience than computer science graduates, their understanding of hardware gives them an advantage in dealing with overall systems.
 16 January 2014 07:57 AM

darkop

I am a Electronics engineer. 6 years ago I started to work as a Software engineer. I have studied Software at home. The difference between Electrical and Software engineer is that the software engineer can work from any place for any place on the earth. Example I have worked from home for Swiss and German companies. The company that I am currently working is doing outsourcing for American companies. Today the software world has much more work than Electric world.
But the jump is not easy. At the beginning you will be junior means less paid. Then you will need to learn all software things, starting from programming language, example php, java. then probably if you are working in the internet domain you will need also to know html, havascript, databases, design patters, OO programming ... Other solution is to program embedded electronics with c++ or assembler. That is another story.
In each case there is a ton of thinks that you need to learn First.

I only recommend becoming software engineer if you cannot find job as electrician engineer for several years (that was my case, I am from Macedonia and in our country there is plenty of work for software, and very little for Electronics)!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.