IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice on becoming an electronics engineer.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 April 2012 10:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 April 2012 10:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

notepad2608

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on possible routes into a career in electronics engineering?

I am a physics graduate so I would like to do an MSc in electronics or perhaps embedded systems.

At present my personal circumstances mean I can't give up work to study full time and my current employer wouldn't allow day release to study part time as it is not relevant to their work.

My plan is to gain a qualification, of any standard, via evening/distance learning that will allow me to get a job within the electronics industry relatively quickly. Once in the industry I hope it will be easier to negotiate day release to study an MSc.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 27 April 2012 02:43 PM

Gozza

This is quite a tough question to answer as electronics engineering is very broad and covers many areas and industries.
Do you have a particlar interest/understanding in an area of electronics engineering? Such as:

Embedded programming/Software programming in C, C++, C#, Linux etc
Digital circuit design, PCB layout
Signal theory/analysis
Audio electronics
Machine vision
RF electronics

Just to name a few of the many areas.

I'd say one option is to get into is PCB design and layout of simple digital circuits. You can do this as a technician, which will provide you with time to then get your engineering MSc.

Also, by getting your foot in the door as a layout engineer/technician you can start working with the designers to impart any knowledge you gain, or already have, to work your way up.....or you can just move on after gaining your qualification.
 04 May 2012 04:39 PM

eswnl

Good thing about electronics is that you can learn it at home with regards to equipment. You can buy a development board with Microcontrollers and write programs. You can try learning C programming this way.

Or if you're more into RF, then you can get into ham radio or pop down to your local ham radio club. Besides RF electronics and RF test equipment, you can gain exposure to general electronics as well.

With regards to finding a job, I found it more productive to bypass agencies and internet job boards and approach companies directly (LinkedIN is useful). If you're going for a technician job interview, maybe better to bring something in that you've built.

I don't know which areas of electronics are experiencing shortages, although I hear a shortage of analogue electronics engineers.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.