IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to become a electronic engineer?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2012 08:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 January 2012 08:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Richie123

Hi there,
I have been offered a role in our company to train as an electronic engineer. What i dont know is the best route to take? i have seen a course titled BTEC level 3 advanced diploma in electronic engineering which is online and with work an a young family its flexibility appeals. Does this sound like a good place to start?? I have little electrical an electronic knowledge but only aknowledged in the form of a 70hr appreciation course at college and a NVQ level 3 in electrical maintenace.

thanks rich
 28 January 2012 10:22 AM

amillar

When you say an electronic engineer, what will you actually be doing? (It makes a big difference as to the type of triaining/education you will need.)

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 22 February 2012 09:57 PM

TCSC

If you have little experience of electronics, a good place to start is by taking a subscription of one of the hobby electronic magazines such as Electronics Today International, Elektor, or Everyday Practical Electronics. There are probably others. These magazines will give you an insight into what the various aspects of electronics can do as well as teach you some electronics theory.

By the way, is your company asking you to train for the post they are offering you in your own time? Have you tried for day release?
 09 March 2012 05:48 PM

adamtaylor

In my apprentership, I started out doing a BTEC National in Electrical Engineering. This was a great place to put a good foundation down on a range of electrical based subjects.

I would also recommend talking to the IET about different courses that our available to you though, because they may be able to direct you down a more convenient learning path.

Adam

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.