Increase font size
Topic Title: PCB Design Courses
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 January 2011 09:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 January 2011 09:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

meththa

Hello,

Can anyone suggest some practical PCB design courses that is available.

I have electronic design knowledge - though limited in practical use. Whilst I can get to drawing up schematics etc, I would like to know more about placement and routing - the common do's and don'ts etc on the PCB side of things.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
 05 January 2011 01:12 PM

ANFierman

Hi,

This might get you started:

http://www.alternatezone.com/e...esignTutorialRevA.pdf

It's not all absolutely right nor is it very detailed but it does cover a lot of basic ground.

You can do a lot worse than trawl the semiconductor manufacturers sites for tutorials, webinars and applications notes about PCB layout guidelines.

Also have a look using Google Books. It's amazing what you can view in there. A lot of pages will be blank but you can probably fill in the spaces in one book from other books.

Get yourself a copy of Kicad (free open source schematic capture & PCB layout, runs on Windows, Linux and coming to OSX, user friendly GUI) to play with:

http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You may find some free training from paid-for PCB tools vendors sites and you can play (but severely limited) with their demo tools or maybe run a 30 day trial of their full works.

Much of their training will be on using their tools but you can pick up a lot on the way.

Andy

-------------------------
Andy Fierman

---------------------------
http://signality.co.uk
---------------------------
 05 January 2011 03:14 PM

saridgway

The Vutrax site offers some free software, basic advice on track width/spacing and a useful glossary. I haven't used Vutrax recently myself, so can't comment on how it compares with other free versions.

Steve Ridgway MIET
 10 January 2011 09:52 AM

meththa

Thank you for the information. The pdf document certainly seems very informative.

I will have a look at the software as well.

Thanks again.
 08 February 2011 12:46 AM

Wyvern

You could also look at the IPC Certified Interconnect Designer course.

I completed it once I was comfortable driving my PCB CAD tool of choice (PowerPCB) and it was very useful, in particular when managing the interface with the PCB Fabrication house.

12 August 2011 01:39 PM

alfinne

I've done the 5-day 'PCB Foundation' course and 1-day 'Circuit Board & Layout Issues for EMC Compliance' seminar with Premier EDA Solutions (www.eda.co.uk). They also do the IPC certification course which I am planning to do. I'd recommend them as a training provider.
 15 August 2011 11:43 AM

MHIJAZI84

Hello

I am looking for a spice module for a DC-DC Converter its a 5V 3A 15 W the manufacturer is XP Module no JCK1524S05. any thing that can give the same simulation result will be ok

Thanks
 18 August 2011 09:22 AM

alfinne

Originally posted by: MHIJAZI84

Hello

I am looking for a spice module for a DC-DC Converter its a 5V 3A 15 W the manufacturer is XP Module no JCK1524S05. any thing that can give the same simulation result will be ok

Thanks

MHIJAZI84 - Don't you think this is off-topic?
 18 August 2011 11:45 AM

MHIJAZI84

maybe but if you can help its good if not why the comment
 12 April 2012 03:30 PM

BlackStick

Hello All

We plan on running a PCB design course at the end of the year.
For those interested, or to find out more, please visit our website.

Thanks
 16 May 2012 05:44 PM

gordon.s1

If you go on the RS website you can get a FREE PCB design tool.
Its very good and easy to use.
Rgds.

Helping others today enables
others to help you tomorrow.
 28 May 2012 06:00 PM

backdrill

Here's a simple glossary to help you understand the commonly used technical terms in the PCB design world.

Link removed/PCB-Glossary.asp

I hope it helps. Other than that, reading books and articles on topics of PCB design will provide more info on the topic
 25 September 2012 02:16 AM

ngaylard

If you are serious about learning to design PCB's and not simply learn a CAD package then I would suggest the IPC designer certification. https://dc.ipc.org/html/designer-certification.htm

Far too many electronics engineers are clueless on the documentation and manufacturing requirements and simply drive the CAD, expecting quality results. If you don't want to do the certification then at least consider buying the IPC document set on PCB design (2200 series, and 325)
 03 November 2012 06:50 PM

done77

Originally posted by: ANFierman

Hi,

This might get you started:

<br ">">"><br "><br ">">"><br "><br "><br "><br ">&l.......m/e...ialRevA.pdf

]Link removed/electronics/files/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf
<br [/L]

It's not all absolutely right nor is it very detailed but it does cover a lot of basic ground.

You can do a lot worse than trawl the semiconductor manufacturers sites for tutorials, webinars and applications notes about PCB layout guidelines.

Also have a look using Google Books. It's amazing what you can view in there. A lot of pages will be blank but you can probably fill in the spaces in one book from other books.

Get yourself a copy of Kicad (free open source schematic capture & PCB layout, runs on Windows, Linux and coming to OSX, user friendly GUI) to play with:

<br ">">"><br "><br ">">"><br "><br "><br "><br ">&l.......t/w...p/Main_Page

]Link removed/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
<br [/L]

You may find some free training from paid-for PCB tools vendors sites and you can play (but severely limited) with their demo tools or maybe run a 30 day trial of their full works.

Much of their training will be on using their tools but you can pick up a lot on the way.

Andy

Thank you for the information

Edited: 03 November 2012 at 06:59 PM by done77
 01 November 2013 03:03 AM

toom

Electronics engineers tend to draw the useful drawings, but they often suffer from cannot get practice, Huaqiang PCB offer PCB prototype services for you, with the best quality and price, realize your dream of PCB ,you can view our store online Alipress store arts in China ,PCB protype with 10% discount.
 09 November 2013 04:30 AM

praveenchandra

I am very much interested to learn about the PCB design courses. With that, I learned the course through online tutorials. At, They explained everything in detailed about a clear definition of what signal integrity engineering is and where it fits into the design process. I know, Today various software's are available to practice it. Could you please share some more attachments about the topic for view detail information. Any kind of information is greatly accepted.
 14 November 2013 06:11 AM

williamjack

Thanks everyone, I was also searching for his. You helped me a lot. Thanks .
 27 November 2013 10:18 AM

kengreen

Hi,

RS used to sell what I think was called Veroboard which is a baseboard covered on one side with copper strips - with two alternative spacing and pierced with holes also at regular spacings also sell/sold a tool with which to cut the copper strips. Scan a piece of such board into your computer and work out where you need to cut and/or bridge with wire.

Obtain or design a circuit and try to put it together with the above - you'll make some horrible mistakes of then mistakes of the foundations of any learning? Your first efforts undoubtedly will be devices determined to oscillate then you must devise methods of screening, adding heatsinks, etc.

Hands-on is probably the finest way to learn.

Ken Green
 06 December 2013 06:51 AM

jahangeer100

That is wonderful and thank you for the really valuable Information. Can't write it better than this...!
 12 December 2013 07:46 AM

edwinjarvis

This is very wonderfull.............
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.