Increase font size
Topic Title: Automatic Voltage Regulator
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 October 2010 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 October 2010 04:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ANFierman

I hope this does not seem rude but if you are to succeed in any field of study then you will need to learn how to find things out and how to think.

Think about what you know, what you need to know and therefore what you need to find out.

Look for what you need to know.

Then think about what you have found out.

You will also need to learn how to ask questions in such a way that (a) they will get answered and (b) advance your understanding.

Asking "Can anyone assist in letting me know what items I need to specify by calculation before I start." is unlikely to get a useful answer because you have not shown that you are already trying to find out for yourself.

If you have just said that you have not started yet then why would anyone want to spare their time when you haven't give any of yours yet?

Your question is too broad to give a useful answer to.

Long before you start trying to do any calculations you would need to know what input and output voltages, load characteristics (is it a resistive, inductive or a capacitive load? Is it a constant power load?).

What range of input voltages does it have to work over and by how much can the output voltage change (line regulation)?

How much can the output voltage change with changes in the load (load regulation)?

ow much can the output voltage change with sudden changes in the load (load transient response)?

What sort of noise, spikes etc. is there on the input?

How much attenuation (rejection) of this noise do you want to achieve?

Do you need short circuit protection?

What efficiency must the regulator have (determines the choice between linear and switching or other types of regulator)?

If you can give this sort of information before you ask a question then you are more likely to (a) be able to ask a useful question and (b) get an answer that advances your understanding.

In the meanwhile: Google is your friend.

Have a look here to start with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator

-------------------------
Andy Fierman

---------------------------
http://signality.co.uk
 06 October 2010 07:59 PM

ANFierman

I had taken note of who you are: someone coming from an Eng Tech level starting on a BSc course. That's why I was explaining about learning to find things out and to think. At Uni, you will not be taught. You will learn about ideas and techniques with probably much less emphasis on learning "things" and simple "facts" than in your educational experience so far.

Hence you will need to do a lot of thinking and finding out for yourself if you are to really understand your subject. You'll also need to ask a lot of questions and there are countless forums especially on the web - such as this one - on which you can post questions. However, there are good ways and bad ways to ask questions or ask for help. Good ways are usually answered and the answers are often helpful in ways that may go beyond your original question. Bad ways will probably not be answered or will attract at best a polite response along the lines of "think about your problem, find out more and show us you have made some effort yourself before asking for help".

Go to any web forum and one of the first things you'll be encouraged to read are the notes on etiquette which is very much about how to ask questions that will get answered.

Now, what is your question?

Andy Fierman

http://signality.co.uk
 07 October 2010 10:05 PM

2omuataise3

Thanks for all the directions.

E OMUATAISE

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.