Increase font size
Topic Title: Help radar testing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 February 2010 11:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 February 2010 11:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tonyarn

Hello My name is Antonio

The topic of my dissertation is build and testing a radar device interface a microcontroller in domestic use.

Could some one help me to find a technique to test it a a different velocities, in easy words how can I check my speed walk.

Cheers

Antonio
 27 February 2010 05:44 PM

ANFierman

Have you checked what approvals or licensing you may need to test radar equipment? Ofcom may get a bit excited if you sit at the end of a runway and start pointing a radar at aircraft.

-------------------------
Andy Fierman

---------------------------
http://signality.co.uk
 02 March 2010 07:41 PM

tonyarn

Hello Andy

Tk for your answering . It s in use in a room to detect people , what i need is just sometimes to watch how change the amplitude with my walk speed

Cheers

Antonio
 02 March 2010 10:54 PM

ANFierman

If you need to measure your walking speed (or the speed of any other thing in the radar field of view) you might like to try using a digital bicycle speedometer. It doesn't have to be on a bike, just a wheel with an axle and a handle.

As long as the wheel is within the range of diameters that the speedo can be calibrated for (and this is usually much wider than the range of available wheels!) then you can calibrate it in mph or kph for your wheel.

I used one as the speedo for an off-road motorcycle as it read up to 99mph: well over the speed my bike would do. The only limitation is that the wheel has to go through several turns for it to give a decent reading. You could work around this by using a small wheel so it has a higher rpm.

Such speedo's are reasonably cheap: I got one for under about £10 probably 15 years ago so they should be even cheaper now!

You could try putting things (targets, not the radar!) on a trolley and rigging up a pulley so that you can get out of the radar beam as you move your target along. That way you keep an eye on the radar "output" and - if you extend the speedo cable (2 wires between detector and display) - the speed of the target.

Assuming you don't get an emc problem with the radar upsetting the speedo of course ....

Not sure if that's what you're asking though. If you need more help on interpreting what the radar is actually giving out in response to motion then that's a different question.

-------------------------
Andy Fierman

http://signality.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.