Increase font size
Topic Title: The Ferranti F100-L microprocessor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 January 2009 02:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 January 2009 02:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

Was the Ferranti F100-L microprocessor ever sold to civilians or was it strictly military only hardware?
 23 January 2009 02:12 PM

saridgway

In " Ferranti, A History, Volume 2" (Carnegie Publishing Ltd, ISBN 978-1-905472-01-7), John F. Wilson relates that the F100-L was used in CEDREC, an energy management system marketed by Ferranti around 1980. This implies that the F100-L was not restricted to military use. There is also some Wiki information relating to use of the F100-L in an amateur radio satellite.

-------------------------
Steve Ridgway MIET
 25 January 2009 02:20 PM

jencam

So a few F100-L microprocessors escaped to the real world. My son is looking for one to include in his CPU collection.

Were there any successors to the F100-L with the same architecture and instruction set?
 26 January 2009 03:10 PM

saridgway

Originally posted by: jencam

Were there any successors to the F100-L with the same architecture and instruction set?

Not as far as I am aware. Although I was working for Ferranti when the F100-L was around, I was in a different division to the one that produced the F100-L. Different divisions of the company generally had little to do with one another. In fact, in the late '70s we were using the National Semiconductors PACE chip, a more commercially oriented 16 bit micro roughly contemporary with the F100-L. (Sorry, no, I don't have any PACE or F100-L chips in my cellar).

Steve Ridgway MIET
 22 August 2011 06:22 PM

CAVEMAN

I worked at Ferranti Instruments Moston in the early 80's and was one of the engineers working on the Cedrec system - so I can state with certain knowledge the system was Z80 based.
The firmware was written in Z80 assembler (those were the days) but wasn't much of a success and Moston closed - I don't think the product line was kept up.
 23 August 2011 02:28 PM

saridgway

Originally posted by: CAVEMAN

I worked at Ferranti Instruments Moston in the early 80's and was one of the engineers working on the Cedrec system - so I can state with certain knowledge the system was Z80 based.

I stand corrected. I wonder where Wilson got his information from? Come to think of it, we had an energy management system at Cheadle Heath which I think may also have been Z80 based. I'm not sure whether it was related to the Cedrec system or not.

Steve Ridgway MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.