Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CE marking of a control panel by the designer and panel builder
Topic Summary: Declaration of Conformity or Incorporation or ?
Created On: 18 March 2014 04:26 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 March 2014 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 1
Joined: 25 July 2008

We are looking to have a panel built with new VSD units installed to use on existing motors in an industrial application.
The panel, mains and control wiring is part of the package for a designer and builder and will be all new. However the motors and the fans they drive are existing.
Does the designer and builder (same company) supply the panel with C of E or C of I.
I have read much but none the wiser.
Any experience appreciated.
 19 March 2014 02:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 19
Joined: 16 December 2008

I have come across some thing like this at a company I use to work for.

A contractor working on our site built a panel for a company who also was working on our site. The company asked him to ensure all his components etc had a CE stamp so they could issue an overall CE stamp. The conclusion was due to the overall system/machine is getting the actual CE stamp not the panel. That's why modifications to any system/machine should really be questioned if they are required.

So my answer would be no they don't as they can not guarantee the rest of the system i.e the motors and fans.

The blow link seems to indicate a CE stamp is not required if an existing 'Product' is not substantially modified.
 19 March 2014 07:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 66
Joined: 19 August 2005

Surely the control panel has to conform to at least the LV & the EMC Directives.

From the hse link above "CE marking is a visible sign that the product complies with all relevant product supply law, and its presence together with the Declaration of Conformity gives the product to which it is affixed presumption of conformity with relevant product safety Directives."

If the Designer/Builder is selling the panel to the End User I believe they have to CE mark the assembly.

One way of showing compliance is to meet the requirements of BS 61439 which covers Power Switchgear & Control assemblies. Gambica & Schneider Electric produce guides to meeting this standard. If I remember correctly for 'small' assemblies there are exceptions for some of the design verifications.

Hope this helps


John Pittwood IEng FIET
 20 March 2014 02:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 19
Joined: 16 December 2008

Yes the panel would have to conform with any BS/EN standards and directives related to building control panels or electrical works etc but, as far as I understand, it can not have a CE stamp because it is not the 'complete' system/machine.

In the case I made reference to, the panel builder supplied all CE documentation for the components he used such as contractors, safety relays etc and the machine design/build company then provided an overall CE stamp for the complete product which was then supplied to us.
 24 March 2014 02:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 187
Joined: 25 February 2008

spectrumforce is in the right area.
It is a minefield and many companies don't get right - my own supplies it's own guidelines.

You start with a Technical Construction File.
The existing 'kit' (not motors/fans but the complete equipment) should have one and may be CE marked, where you append the new control system to it.
If there is no Technical Construction File then you create from new with the control system being the content.
Check the 'net for actual content.

The new panels and drives would be C of I and would need to declare which Directives the complete system would conform to. It would also need a Certificate of Conformity (you certify is does what it is spec'd to do).

The Directives:
- You have motors / fans so the Machinery Directive
- EMC Directive as indicated above
- LV (Low Voltage) Directive - check on this as our control panels are 24vDC which is below the threshold of LV.

Any special functions of you existing machine?
With the exception of moving stages and tractors/trailers, most are covered by the Machinery Directive.
Any research on the 'net - go for guidelines to directives as these are more useful.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.