Increase font size
Topic Title: Demonstrating the Safety of Generation IV Nuclear Reactors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 January 2014 09:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 January 2014 09:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

I am helping to organise an IET meeting in June entitled "Conceptual Design of Gen IV Nuclear Reactors", with particular emphasis on molten salt reactors. Hopefully I will be able to get a firm date settled for the event within the next two weeks.

As part of this meeting I want to discuss the question of whether or not it will be possible to demonstrate the safety of Generation IV Nuclear Reactors to regulators in a methodical, yet productive and cost-effective way. One of the potential areas for cost saving is further progress towards the harmonization of regulatory regimes; for example one of the SARGEN IV Project deliverable documents that can be obtained on request is entitled "Proposal for a harmonized European methodology for the safety assessment of innovative reactors with fast neutron spectrum to be built in Europe".

Unfortunately the SARGEN IV project terminated in an incomplete state on 31/12/2013, and I have made a request for public access to a wider collation of the unfinished work and questions raised by academics up until the project closed down.

Research funds for Generation IV Reactor Design are very thin on the ground, so even incomplete outputs from a two year 1.3 million EURO project (that ran out of time and money) are likely to be wider ranging and more comprehensive than that which any one individual could possibly achieve, on a part-time voluntary basis, preparing for the above IET meeting over the next 6 months.

If anyone feels they have expertise that would be relevant to helping organise the above meeting please let me know.

-------------------------
James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.