Increase font size
Topic Title: Help for a Design Engineering Student
Topic Summary: Spray coating forging and forming samples
Created On: 26 February 2013 01:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 February 2013 01:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

John1991

Hi everyone,

I'm a fourth year Design Engineering student within the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. My main project this year is to design a system to spray coat forming and forging samples for an organisation called the Advanced Forming Research Centre, who focus on advancing technologies in forging and forming for the aerospace industry.

I am posting looking for some advice. I have some mechatronic control knowledge from the past years at University, and for this system I am designing I have got to the stage where I will be building a prototype demonstrator. The system will be required to consistently spray coat sample pieces prior to forging and forming processes. My aim is to build a demonstrator for a semi-automated system and I am unsure as to what mechatronic control units and components I will need. I will not specifically need to build a fully working spray coating system, but rather a proof of concept demonstrator, so the actual act of spraying could be substituted with something as simple as a solenoid activating. I do want to demonstrate however the automation in the system, I have been looking into microprocessor units and my thoughts are to buy an Arduino Uno as the brain of the system. If anyone on here could advise me on what over control components (transducers, position sensors, motors, in/out controls) I might need for the system it would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help,

John
 10 April 2013 12:26 PM

jgdavies

A basic PC digital input/output card should be able to switch a relay, or even just a relay card. Also a control bus arrangement.

With regard to your semi-automated system, in my experience many academic and industrial projects tend to build basic systems to demonstrate something which then get left around unused. Check with labs or auto system suppliers, or maybe paint-shops, you may be surprised to find they've got something you can use or adapt.

-------------------------
jgdavies
 08 May 2013 09:48 AM

sandip

Hi,

It is better to go for Microprocessor which can include digital input/out put for motor control & also analog input for sensors & transmitters.Pl check the cost implication otherwise you can refer guidance of Mr.Jgdavis.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.