IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ATEX for spare parts
Topic Summary: Does it apply for old equipment?
Created On: 15 February 2013 05:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 February 2013 05:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sashdo

I work with some old American equipment in a zone 2 area that was supplied pre-1996 and I need to buy a new pressure switch for it. Now the U.S. vendor does not supply ATEX certified parts so do I need to alternative source or can I used the like for like spare. My understanding of ATEX is it is not retrospective and I can continue with the old equipment so long as I risk assess it. The new part is certified to US standards for the zoning under US regulations so I believe it is suitable but there is now doubt over if all new components supplied to that equipment must be ATEX certified.

Any thoughts?
 15 February 2013 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dlane

My understanding is that ATEX is not retrospective to any apparatus in use prior to July 2003 providing a risk assessment has been carried out.

Any new equipment after that date for use in a hazardous zone must be compliant.

This however starts to become more confusing as technically speaking ATEX only applies to equipment supplied by manufacturers and not installations, which would come under the EPS for use in potentially explosive atmospheres regulations 1996.

Schedule 3 of those regulations may allow you to use an argument that there isn't an ATEX approved pressure switch available that would fit / function within your installation. Under those circumstances you could opt for a compatible device under a risk assessment that shows the explosive hazards are controlled to an acceptable level.

If there is an ATEX approved pressure switch available then in my opinion the EPS regulations would require it and I would opt for using that.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.