Increase font size
Topic Title: replacing chocolate block connector
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 March 2012 08:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 March 2012 08:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpichaimuthu

In the factory I work the wiring is bit old and loads of chocolate blocks connected in-between wiring, its both inside machines(die casting machines) and general wiring.

I have heard about soldering, crimps and plastic caps and using one single cable.

In places where I cant use one single wire I need to connect it with a type of connector, but is there any other option to replace these chocolate blocks which is better and good way of connecting two wires.

kind regards
Jag
 29 March 2012 09:00 PM

ArthurHall

I would consider using Wago connectors. They have been discussed on the electricians forum. Most wholesalers carry them.
 10 April 2012 10:30 AM

adamtaylor

Have you thought of using straight through crimp connectors?

I use these on a regular basis at work!

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
 10 April 2012 10:43 AM

gkenyon

For all connection voltages, crimp connectors are often cited as best where the wiring may be subject to vibration, although there are some screw and screwless terminals with good vibration performance these days.

Soldering has had a bad press, particularly for power circuits (regardless of voltages), because the skill of soldering power cables has not been taught at all well (or even at all) in most industries for a number of years. I'm not sure about the performance of lead-free solder (which would almost certainly have to be used on new connections) over older leaded solder (where migration of tin away from lead caused joint failure/burning), but I do know that the surfaces to be soldered have to be meticulously clean with lead-free, or you might as well forget a good joint, and soldering temperatures are at least 60 degrees more with lead-free.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.