Increase font size
Topic Title: Speed and time measurement
Topic Summary: equipment query
Created On: 29 March 2012 08:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 March 2012 08:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpichaimuthu

hi everyone,

My supervisor has given me a task. I the die casting machine process injection process the ram works in two phase. In the first phase the ram goes slowly pushing the hot metal into the die and in the second phase the ram moves fast pushing the hot metal at a high pressure of 138 bars. My supervisor want to measure the speed at which the ram moves and time it takes for the travel in first phase and second phase which is fraction of seconds.

Can anyone please suggest any device or equipment that can measure the speed of ram and time(less than 1 sec)

Kind regards
Jag
 30 March 2012 02:07 PM

Avatar for dougflorence                                      .
dougflorence

Your main problem is getting a transducer to convert the position into an electrical signal. Presumably you want to do this at very low cost. A linear potentiometer is a possibility or for more money you can get some very good and versatile laser position sensors.

If the action is driven by a servo then there may be an output you could connect to on the drive module itself, but that will probably correspond to speed rather than distance and it may be difficult to establish a calibration. You might be able to integrate the area under the velocity plot and compare that with total stroke.

What is the approximate maximum speed and total travel distance?

If you have access to a good storage oscilloscope you should be able analyse the output of the transducer on that. If you do not have one, look at http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope.html
 21 April 2012 02:22 PM

jpichaimuthu

Dear Dougflrence,
thank you very much for your reply and you helpful ideas.

I found one of these laser sensors used for measuring the distance do you this would be of any help.

http://www.sentekeurope.com/laser-doppler.html

Kind regards
Jag
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.