Increase font size
Topic Title: Cost Effective PLC
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 February 2012 01:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 February 2012 01:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MarcF

Can someone recommend a manufacturer of cost effective PLCs for simple relay logic replacement, but will also give expansion options for additional analogue I/O if required. I have traditionally used Allen Bradley/ Modicon and feel a bit out of touch with what is currently available.

-------------------------
MarcF
 22 February 2012 09:59 PM

oneye

A glance through the RS Components Book will give you an idea what is popular.
What I/O ? .. how much expansion ?

The Siemens LOGO is an excellent relay replacement but little I/O and not exactly expandable. Omron and Mitsu are OK with more I/O but not exactly modular. The cost of software has always been a factor for choice - are you programming 1 or 50....

Modicon was replaced by Schneider some time ago, not the same I'm afraid.
For Allen Bradley think Rockwell which is not the same either, but they do small and modular but watch the price of software.

Hope this helps
 28 February 2012 06:34 PM

Steve56

Look at the Siemens S7 1200 PLC (a replacement for the S7 200).
 29 February 2012 04:57 PM

JohnLindop

I would try Mitsubishi. Siemens can be hard work if you are not using it every day.
 29 February 2012 05:41 PM

riaz14

I am totally agreed with john as mitsubishi are very user friendly and their programming is just easy i mean easy and you can master them in just couple of hours if you know ladder logic .
 09 March 2012 04:56 PM

adamtaylor

After working with many different type's of PLCs, I feel thats Mitsi are the best. But it depends if your going to use it to its full potential!

You say that you are going to replace simple relay logic, so if thats the case. A simple Moeller easy PLC might suffice, there are many different types of these and they are small handy PLCS that have different control voltages, supplies, many inputs and outputs, easy to program via the screen on the front or laptop and also some of the PLCS have room for expansion.

Hope this helps
Adam

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
 08 May 2012 05:41 PM

doc1

I am looking for a cost effective PLC, with a couple I/O inputs. It will need to be able to do calculations. I am building a complex DC battery monitoring system. Ease of programming and most importantly cost is important as I am a broke college student. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
 29 May 2012 11:11 PM

NickICP

Hi,

We offer a wide range of PLC at Link removed If you have any questions feel free to contact me at nickb@icpdas-usa.com

Link removed/embedded_controllers.html
 01 June 2012 09:49 PM

NickICP

ICP DAS embedded controllers offer the latest technology in industrial embedded control, as well as programmable logic control! With a bevy of remote and rackmount controllers, ICP DAS's embedded control line assures users the utmost flexibility when it comes to implementing a robust and cost effective PLC solution! ICP DAS programmable logic controllers are built to exact specifications, insuring the utmost reliability in even the most extreme industrial environments. By implementing an ICP DAS PLC's, you can save both time and money on your next industrial control solution!
 01 June 2012 09:59 PM

NickICP

The I-7188EG from ICP DAS is an embedded controller and powered by an 80188-40 processor with 512K bytes of static RAM, and 512K bytes of Flash memory. It provides one serial RS-232 port, one RS-485 port and one 10BASE-T port. Each I-7188EG has an Ethernet port and can take your system to the internet world. The I-7188EG also supports an optional battery back-up SRAM expansion board and Flash-Rom board, providing non-volatile mass storage from 2 megabytes to 64 megabytes.

Link removed/...88_plc_controller.html
 22 June 2013 07:06 PM

Anony999

I use both AB and Siemens and the Siemens S7 1200 is excellent, i find the Mitsubishi plcs and software cumbersome and out of date, almost backwards and not as stream lined with up to date technology as the Siemens and AB
 02 July 2013 10:31 AM

giason

Mark,

If your used to AB, they have recently brough out a cost effective range of expandable PLCs have a look at the L18ER-BB1B. recently used it for a reasonable size project.

Natively it has 16 DO / 16 DI, but the benefit is you can add up to 8 Point IO slices directly onto it either at build or later on, giving a host of IO options, but on a cheap base package.

See here for a bit more info

1769-L18ER-BB1B

There are some others in the range with more / less options.

As stated in above posts also try Seimens, Mitsibushi and ProSoft are well worth a look , but the above offering from AB is a very capable beast and communicates well, has good procesor and memory options .
 03 July 2013 11:52 AM

alisonceng

Have a look at the Maxiflex system manufactured by Omniflex. Price will be good for you and used in nuclear applications so very reliable.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.