IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: work Experience
Topic Summary: skills: NI labview, MSc. in instrumentation and control,MS office,ATEX,DSEAR
Created On: 15 December 2011 03:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 December 2011 03:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

riaz14

Hi guys,
I have BSC.in electrical engineering and MSc. In Applied Instrumentation and Control 2010.I have worked in power destribution sector as well.I worked in labview in my final thesis and have good grip on it.
I am desperately looking for some work experience in instrumentation and control or automation(paid/unpaid does not matter).I worked in Java as well and proficient in ms office.I know ladder logic too.
any help will highly be appreciated.I am based in glagow but i can travel to the work place in scotland.
thanks
 29 February 2012 05:43 PM

riaz14

I am still looking for work experience any help will be highly apprecited.
 10 April 2012 10:39 AM

adamtaylor

Hi

There is a engineers job exhibition on the 27th and 28th April. Its at the NEC in Birmingham and would be an excellent opportunity to meet big employers!

If you are willing to work unpaid, then this will be a big advantage for you. As every employer likes anything for nothing.

Hope to see you there!

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
 10 April 2012 02:44 PM

chris1982

riaz have you tried all the places in and around glasgow doing that type of work?
 18 April 2012 02:56 PM

riaz14

I have sent my cv's to the places but all the time i got the lame excuse that health and safety people have not allowed,that is just a lie i think to make me no more inquires in their organisation.
 19 April 2012 12:27 PM

amillar

It is really, really frustrating trying to get a first (or any) job. You do unfortunately need to accept that taking on work experience staff is a complete pain for employers. It ties up and slows down staff at the company, whilst adding little immediate value: typically work experience staff achieve in a month what a full time employee achieves in a few days (otherwise they wouldn't need the experience). And if you are, for example, working in instrumentation and control who is going to take the safety responsibility for your work? You can't because you are a) not a member of staff and b) do not have the relevent experience (even if you have experience of the basic technology you will not have experience of that company's implementation).

Of course some companies will take on work experience staff, partly out of a sense of public duty and mainly becasue it can be a good way of identifying potential future staff. In my experience most work experience is found through personal contacts. There is a logical reason for this: it is unlikely that someone inside the company is going to recommend a candidate for work experience unless they think that candidate is responsible, trustworthy, genuinly interested etc. Whereas if someone writes to you cold you have no idea who they are. So you need to make as many contacts as you can. Perhaps find employers your university have worked with, or you can also try attending local IET events and try to find out in coffee break conversations if anyone konws anyone in your field.

And, however frustrating it gets, stay polite to all potential employers: given that some of them are probably reading this, calling them liars is not a good start! Remember that you are asking them do you a favour by taking a chance on you.

To be honest, at your stage you are probably better just trying to get a job rather than trying to get more experience. Don't expect to get an ideal job straight away, it may be better to get into a company at a lower level than you want and prove yourself once you're there.

And finally remember that, whatever the headlines say, there is not a shortage of engineering graduates: there is a shortage of engineering gradutes who are genuinly interested in their subject, understand that their job in a company is to help that company make money, are capable of working superbly inside a team, and have a realistic understanding of their level of knowledge. If you can demonstrate those in your CV, covering letter, and interview you should be fine.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 19 April 2012 02:41 PM

rogerbryant

"And finally remember that, whatever the headlines say, there is not a shortage of engineering graduates: there is a shortage of engineering gradutes who are genuinly interested in their subject, understand that their job in a company is to help that company make money, are capable of working superbly inside a team, and have a realistic understanding of their level of knowledge"

How true and at most levels of engineering as well!

Best regards

Roger
 21 April 2012 02:28 PM

jpichaimuthu

hi riaz,
i am from the same decipline

it took me two years to grab my first job , did some voluntary work in small companies near by huddersfield

i will suggest you to approach small companies saying you would do any project that would be advantageous for their company and will work without wages for two days a week to gain experience if you dont mind working free most companies dont hesitate .

have you heard about KTP , this is where most graduate engineers grab jobs.

you said about ladder logic, which company plc are you proficient in programming and working on, if not sure choose one of the companies and get a course on it most companies offer courses in their site will cost you a bit but worth it, i am saying this because PLC is one of the fields in Control systems where there are more jobs in.

All the best for your job search
kind regards
Jag
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.