IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice needd
Topic Summary: what road to follow to be an control engineer?
Created On: 01 October 2011 04:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 October 2011 04:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

goxhajs

Hi guys,

I have 3 years that i'm graduate in industry automation engineering (in Albania), but from that time i have work as electrical distribution engineer.
Except school knowledge i don't have any other experiences in automation, but i think i like (love) it.
Can anybody advice what road to follow in order to get a job in this field?
Any course, or master degree.

Every advice is welcomed.

Thx in advance.

N'
 05 October 2011 02:28 AM

ubercool

I suggest the first thing would be to do courses in PLCs and microcontrollers and then start looking for a job in the control field
 06 October 2011 03:59 PM

goxhajs

Thank you for your reply ubercool!

Any idea where to find such courses?

Thx again

N'
 06 October 2011 05:13 PM

StewartTaylor

To make the best choice I think you need to think carefully about what it is that you like about automation and control.

First, are you interested mainly in building/programming the equipment, or do you want to be involved in defining the things it has to do?

Are you interested mainly in what I'll call production-line kind of automation - mainly involved with things moving, timing etc - or are you interested in control - like temperature pressure etc?

Do you mainly want to design/build or do you want to commission/maintain/troubleshoot?

Depending on your answers to these questions, you might want to look at DCS instead of PLC, or you might find that your existing automation qualification would help you to get started.

If you're a good practical engineer, it can be worthwhile to watch out for vacancies with smaller companies. They often need somebody that can pick up several areas, like handling electrical design as well as automation, but if you go into a place like that there's usually no safety net (although it can be great fun!).

If you're going for courses to configure or program PLCs, try to find ones that teach you about one widely-used range but give a good foundation in things like 61131-3 programming languages and logic in general. If you understand the logic and you have a solid knowledge from one kind of equipment, it's not ususally too hard to adapt to other types.

Sorry that this is more of a guideline than a recipe, but I think you need to know where you want to go if you're going to get the best results. It took me 15 years before I finished up, more or less by accident, in teh business that seems to suit me best.

-------------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 14 October 2011 02:59 AM

ubercool

You can ask anyone in your university

Originally posted by: goxhajs

Thank you for your reply ubercool!

Any idea where to find such courses?

Thx again

N'
 22 October 2011 11:28 AM

goxhajs

Thank you very much StewartTaylor, i really appreciate your response.

Regards,

N'
 23 October 2011 05:40 PM

MAXMIRA

Try contacting a local firm and asking if you can do some unpaid work experience as i'm sure this would benefit you in the long run
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.