Increase font size
Topic Title: auctioneering diode
Topic Summary: dual supply coupling
Created On: 29 June 2011 03:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 June 2011 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

philt74

Hi,
I have a new customer who wants to provide two AC voltage single phase supplies to my panel, and is instrucing us to use auctioneering diodes to couple the two supplies "for load sharing and redundancy". I can't convert to DC and couple them because I have equipment in the panel that needs the full AC supply voltage. I am begining to doubt myself to the point where I'm making this post. Has anyone heard of using "auctioneering diodes" to couple two AC supplies? I think maybe he's read this in a book and not fully understood the concept. Or am I missing a trick?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 29 June 2011 at 03:40 PM by philt74
 29 June 2011 07:48 PM

Avatar for dougflorence                                      .
dougflorence

I can't imagine what they mean. Can you get them to elucidate or provide an example?

I guess your client is either being very clever or very stupid.
 29 June 2011 07:51 PM

Avatar for dougflorence                                      .
dougflorence

Google search for "auctioneering diode" suggests that this essentially means sharing two DC PSUs through diodes to prevent reverse feed if one goes down.

I am inclined towards the stupid client theory now.
 29 June 2011 08:46 PM

seeker

Originally posted by: philt74

Hi,

I have a new customer who wants to provide two AC voltage single phase supplies to my panel, and is instrucing us to use auctioneering diodes to couple the two supplies "for load sharing and redundancy". I can't convert to DC and couple them because I have equipment in the panel that needs the full AC supply voltage. I am begining to doubt myself to the point where I'm making this post. Has anyone heard of using "auctioneering diodes" to couple two AC supplies? I think maybe he's read this in a book and not fully understood the concept. Or am I missing a trick?

Thanks in advance.

As I understand it auctioneering diodes permit two or more "DC" supplies to be connected to maintain supply to loads in the event of a failure of one of the supplies.
Unless there have been developments which I am unaware of to provide use in AC systems I think your new customer has misread some sales blurb. Probably your best bet with such a customer is to walk away now.
 29 June 2011 09:54 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

I would also agree that the "auctioneering" diodes allow sharing of two or more dc power supplies. The method cannot be used for sharing ac supplies.

Regards,

Alan.
 30 June 2011 09:20 AM

philt74

Thanks for the sanity check everyone!

Was begining to think my CPD had let me down, and I had missed some new development!

I'll stick my diplomacy hat on and get in touch with him.

Thanks again.
 30 June 2011 09:39 PM

oneye

Auctioneering diodes apparently do exactly a described above ..
"Auctioneering diodes are used in coupling up two or more Power Supply Units so as to ensure a fail safe power source."
just one source of several:-
http://www.amalgen.com.au/dc_power/auction_diode.asp

Just imagine wiring a diode in a 230v ac supply - the load would receive high voltage pulses @ 50hz with a DC component to it - a filament bulb would flicker, a transformer would handle it badly and I suspect a Switch mode psu would just self-destruct !
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.