Increase font size
Topic Title: Real Time Operating Systems
Topic Summary: Which RTOS is the 'industry standard'
Created On: 01 May 2010 09:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 May 2010 09:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AlanSellers

Hi,

I have started looking at the various real time operating systems that are available for actuator control over RS485, and possibly ethernet.

What experience I do have with RTOS is with RTLinux. I have found it not as well supported as I expected. I had a look at the National Instruments Realt Time support and this appears to be very well supported but the pay off is that it is much more expensive when compared to a solution like RTLinux.

For those that are reading this and that have experience with RTOS I'd greatly appreciate the benefit of your experience.

The crux of the thread is this. I would like to know what RTOSs are out there, if there is an industry leader, and how they compare in terms of developer support, license cost and anything else that you may think is important to know!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading some replies.

Regards,

Alan
 01 May 2010 09:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

There is no 'standard' because different companies and countries tend to have their own favourites. When I was with Siemens/Dematic we originally used iRMX which is now well out of date but then looked at a replacement. We looked at Linux but then went for QNX http://www.qnx.com/products/neutrino-rtos/index.html which is still used today. It's widely used in asia, Canada and the USA but less so in the UK.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.